Help with VESC tool

Alright so I just did my first DIY build and I’m not too familiar with the VESC tool and what I should set my motor settings to. I want to be able to get as much torque/RPM/amps out of my battery to the ESC without killing anything :sweat_smile:

I have 6380 190kv TB motors
Torqueboard V6.6 ESCs
12s8p 30Q pack

3 Likes

Paging @Skyart @CiscoV @Jujo @ahrav :arrow_up:
For science :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Batt can output 160A… you wanna live life on the edge go 80A batt/ ESC. Or be safer run 70-75. And can do 80A motor/ ESC :call_me_hand::eyes:

That’s probably what I would do…
:penguin:

4 Likes

I think I have it at 70A right now, might try 75 :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

First off. @Nacho I can’t make this clear enough. I’m dumb as fuck

Secondly @ahrav isn’t the max batt output 120A? If I’m wrong, please refer to my first sentence. Math not very engrish.
But yea, I’d do 70-75A all around. IMHO, you can set your motor current upwards to like 80-90A. Shit don’t matter

Also depends what gearing you have, what size tires you have, how’s your riding style, what kind of terrain we talking bout here

3 Likes

Hmm uhh :eyes: we’ll 30Q can easily handle 20A cont discharge even tho its rated at 15A. Plenty of tests show it can easy peasy do 20A :call_me_hand::doughnut:

Bump that shit up… and yes as @Jujo pointed up you can ramp
Those motor amps high only downside is thermal throttling… more amps you throw at it the faster it’ll
Heat up :fire:

But yea try 75 for batt and 90 motor… if that’s not enough 80A for the batt per ESC should help.

Also motor amps will
Be more responsible for your low speed torque and the batt amps will take over at high speeds :doughnut: (pretty sure )

3 Likes

quickly bumps up my vesc settings uhh I totally knew that

5 Likes

These motors can typically go to at least 100A “motor max” and you probably want like -75A motor min, that number controls how strong the brakes are at LOWer speeds

For “battery min” or regen, you probably want about -15A per ESC, that controls how strong the brakes are at HIGHer speeds

as for battery max:

What size wire is going from your battery to the ESC?

Who built the battery, or how are the series connections done, with what size wire/nickel/etc?

Are you bypassing the BMS for discharge? (like this)

In absence of additional information, I’d set battery max at 41A per ESC but you may be able to go higher with additional information.

6 Likes

Running the cells harder lowers their lifetime and lowers your range, so consider this when bumping things all the way up to cell maximum

3 Likes

You made big things go zoom zoom don’t give me that shit :call_me_hand:
Must be that nuclear reactor Seaman talk :rofl:

1 Like

quickly lowers vesc settings back

See, that’s exactly what I was thinking :roll_eyes:

Iirc chibatterysystems built his pack with series connections done with braided copper. Forgot what size though

I’d rather run a reactor than use vesc tool tbh. Unity got me spoiled

5 Likes

Ohh true… yea my battery can output 300A… and @370HSSV used 55mm nickel :man_shrugging::eyes:. And fukkkkk cell lives…

z00m > cell life :eyes::penguin:

7 Likes

opens up vesc tool but waits for Brian’s response

6 Likes

DoIt

8 Likes

I would deffinty do 90 battery amps and 100-110 motor amps, and fly with the wind my friend…fly. I’ve almost never been able to pull more then 60amps continues. Sure bursts of 200 amps on 4wd setups, but normally your current draw will be pretty low. The motors can easily handle 100. Ive ran mine as high as 110, without issues. This set up will give you lots of power, and you can simply control it with your trigger.

6 Likes

Hell yeah :call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

Thanks everyone!

4 Likes

Noted; thanks :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Lmao. And So on with who has the bigger penis

Personally I Agree with Brian
Need to know a little more about battery wiring size before you go nuts with it.

Second
Yes. 30q handles 20a well but that doesn’t mean you wanna max out your shit right away
Start off slow and work your way up and I’d take the pack as 120a max just like @jujo says

@Skyart is right. 90a batt max meaning 45a per vesc That’s definitely a good starting point

90-95 motor amps :ok_hand:t3:

5 Likes

@jujo. No one can be dumber than all of us combined. I mean. Wth are we doing standing in a damn piece of plywood doing 40mph :man_facepalming:t2:
There are safer ways to move around :rofl:

9 Likes

:thinking:

Jet packs!

Wait, no.

Jet packs with rollerskate shoes for ease of landing.

7 Likes