HELP NO BRAKES! also can't detect sensors on one motor.

well damn, then the gd lol

good luck getting them apart

1 Like

Screenshot 2022-01-21 1.00.11 PM
could this help or have anything to do with anything?
comes up after doing manual detection of the bad motor

1 Like

Here’s my 2 cents.

Instead of relying on others to figure out all of your problems, slow down and take the time to figure it out for yourself. This error message is a great example. It should generate a bunch of questions in your mind

What the fuck is a salient motor?
Why is my motor being detected as salient?
Could my motor being detected as salient be related to my issue? Maybe the connections are so poor that it’s recognizing my motor as something different entirely? If I fix this will I also fix my brake issue?

Then with those questions, work through each one by googling shit. Aim to understand and build your knowledge until you can figure out the issue yourself. Ask one or two questions here and there when you get stuck, rather than 3 seconds after something doesn’t work as expected.

That’s how you will learn to “fix your shit”

10 Likes

^^^^

1 Like

so I believe this motor isn’t salient. something’s definitely going weird with detection or the FW.

Show us your soldering joints

2 Likes

not necessary anymore. I just loaded fresh FW on both sides by moving the cable over, power cycled, detected each side manually and individually and then set the CAN mode to make the VESCs talk to eachother. now it just works, one motor is still sensorless although with the other motor being sensored it should rarely present an issue. brakes work too.

now… I can devote some effort to understanding why all of this happened.

VESC, where blaming the customer when the product doesn’t work becomes normalized.

2 Likes

Doesn’t help when I’m also blaming myself before assuming anything is wrong with the HW.

Mind, something is wrong with the HW but I as a user somehow corrected my mistake and made it functional for the time being.

It’s just a classic case of firmware corruption.

With the code a mess as it is, it’s no surprise when the EEPROM emulation or bootloader screws something up, especially if the thing gets power glitched.

1 Like

probably what happened lmao, the “update all” seemed to not work on the other side of the vesc, and I guess a power cycle is needed to “lock things in”

and thanks @TheBoardGarage for threatening to send a replacement vesc if I didn’t fix it by the end of the day, I feel like those vibes somehow made things behave properly and get fixed (by the end of the day).

2 Likes