Help getting stability and preventing speed wobble

Just yesterday i put the flipsky t5 trucks and wheels on my board (i use enertions deck as i love how it feels when i ride) and after hitting 24mph i got a speed wobble and ate complete shit. What is something i can do to make sure i dont get a speed wobble at high speeds and be as stable as possible while also maintaining the ability to turn tight corners?

This is what the board looks like with the wheels and dkp trucks on (from the top)

7 Likes

Bushings, practice, practice, and more practice. Riding DKPs at speed will never be easy, but it is doable.

2 Likes

For most purposes dkp shouldn’t be ridden at speed. It’s purpose was low speed carving, not downhill bombing. If op is consistently going over 25 and doesn’t wanna be sketched out at speed tkp or rkp are logical next steps

10 Likes

Absolutely get some proper riptide bushings, see if you can take the middle stage out of the rear trucks (use spacers to make it level again), and try to balance the wheels

After that it’s just a matter of riding around until you’re better at it, make sure you have the appropriate stance and weight distribution, and shift it in accordance with any changes in speed and heading

4 Likes

I never went downhill i just ride around normally on flat terrain

My point was the original intention of the trucks before electric

These truck’s come with motors pre installed. They come as a kit.

sir, this is a DIY forum, we tear shit apart and put them together in weird ways to make things work

7 Likes

I dont disagree, but DKPs can definitely be ridden quickly. Ive taken flipsky 15.2" DKPs up to speed past 30mph on riptide bushings. Nowadays im on BN270s and the stability benefits are definitely there, but i could absolutely go back and still ride fast on those DKPS. If theyre what OP already has, he should try bushings first. Worst case scenario, he has some nice bushings he can take with him to a new truck.

4 Likes

Shitty thing is i just spend 165 on these😅

1 Like

Yeah I agree up to a point, the few times I’ve taken DKPs out they haven’t really felt that much more unstable than loose RKPs, and that’s from a demo ride where I had to tail an XL-R on a Backfire X2 for 4 miles (needless to say it had a hard time keeping up even with the throttle maxed out). Just keep the weight forward, light carving can help prevent wobbles from starting as an edge will always be loaded. If you do plan on consistently going faster than 25mph for long periods of time though, I’d probably get something else because it takes more work keeping it stable compared to other truck geometries, and that can get tiring.

3 Likes

Are you able to just turn a dkp into a tkp?

It depends but generally you need different baseplates

1 Like

Honestly as long as i can keep the trucks im fine with replacing the baseplate. Baseplates are cheap

where do you live approx? Maybe someone can donate something to you…so you don’t fall and croak while you are figuring things out.

I live in ohio and ive fallen many of times😂 this one just might be the first time i have to get an xray cause o slammed pretty hard on my hip

1 Like

Speed wobbles tend to originate from the rear more than the front; switching up to a higher density (riptide) bushing set in the rear will help a lot, though just replacing the bushings with good quality ones will make a big difference overall. I always ran higher tension and density bushings in the rear than the front on my boards when I started out. Start there, see what that does for your ride, and practice. Also, get yourself some body armor and padded impact shorts. Your ass (and bones in general) will thank me.

1 Like

I got something akin to these, (only linking to give an example, I highly suggest you shop around for what might work for you), when I picked up snowboarding. Saved my tailbone a number of times, and my hips too.

1 Like

Ive gotten these baseplates. So far so good. You can use the same hangar from your DKP and install them with these tkp baseplates.

3 Likes