Helical gear drive from russia

No, smolensk

1 Like

I clarified in the mail about the cost of delivery, and I think it will be easier for you to unite, since 2 kg costs $ 45, 3 kg costs $ 50

3 Likes

based on these dimensions, you can make a washer for the mbs matrix

8 Likes

Thanks for supporting diy of the diy market!

2 Likes

This is gear drive, not direct drive

6 Likes

Not much detail on how thrust loads (generated by helical cut gears) are handled, nor do I see any sort of seal around the output flange. Are thrust or angular contact bearings used in the pulley or wheels to deal with the end loading? Is there a seal to keep dust/dirt/water/mud out of the 'box? No big deal if there aren’t seals, but seems the motors won’t last very long without thrust load handled properly somewhere else.

1 Like

That’s what I keep telling my Girlfriend :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

@emaxon

4 Likes

right, the boot is installed on the gear hub from the outside, and protects against dust from entering

3 Likes

giphy (4)

3 Likes

Best of all, this joke came from an octogenarian woman, (Betty White,) so it must be okay: “I don’t understand why people call weaklings pussies… Those things can really take a pounding.”

3 Likes

Budumts

I am here all zee veek.

1 Like

How about thrust bearings? Or are u using just ball bearings?

1 Like

Nice, I see the seals. Are they “X” cross-section, or just square? I’d love to see someone use a proper garter spring seal for this application, using an off-the-shelf part. Seals used in most European cars, made by Elring etc. are very good, last 100k miles while bathed in hot oil. Something like a front main seal or camshaft seal from a VW/Audi. Most are under $5, made from very pliable synthetic rubber molded over a steel ring that gives it shape. The inner lips of the seal are compressed against the spinning shaft with a coil spring = garter. They have less friction against the shaft due to a very small contact area, usually just two thin ribs. How about thrust bearings? With straight gear teeth, or herringbone (opposite angles on the gears produce opposite and cancelling axial force) they wouldn’t be needed, but definitely needed with helical. “Normal” 608 bearings cannot handle much axial load. They make (much more expensive) angular contact bearings that handle loads in both axes. They are a more elegant solution vs using separate thrust bearings.

3 Likes

It’s probably just a normal v-ring seal which does the job just fine.
About your thrust bearing question, I can see that it might be good to use them, but it’s definitely not like they are needed.
I run my etoxx helical drives without thrust bearings and do have zero issues so far and I’m definitely not the only one using those drives without thrust bearings.

7 Likes

Been running my etoxx helicals with regular SK3’s for a year. No issues for me either.

1 Like

Same. Been running my hand me down Kaly’s for a couple of years without issues and probably have 6k maybe 7k (or more) on them between me and Andrew. I literally just cleaned them for the first time in 8 months. Not too shabby…

4 Likes

I also ride on conventional bearings for a long time, everything works as expected

1 Like

Man, I wish these would fit hypertrucks