HELICAL 4GS drive for matrix truck 59/12 and Pentagram hubs (discussion)

When will they be ready to sell and how much?

4 Likes

yep, no melted gear yet, we made 3 prototypes. Totally done 700km.

Test rider 1, weight 80kg, already done 500km, no issues.

Test rider 2, weight 60kg, done 200km.

My friend which test rider 3, will receiving the gear drive this week, hopefully. He will doing bit comparison between 4GS, etoxx, and moon.

11 Likes

We will launching a small batch (10 set limited) between June and July. Basically we are looking more test riders, put more miles on this gear drive. Price will base on cost price

6 Likes

That 4GS really looks the part. It’s obvious that a lot of time has gone into its design and realisation. The innovation is exciting too. If I’m a bit skeptical it’s because I’m not sure this solves a real problem or adds significant enough value to warrant the additional weight and complexity (not that that’s massive, but still). If the use-case was to drive a shitload of power through a high gearing ratio, I’d get it, but 4.92 is not that.

The hubs are sexy too. How much do they weigh? They look meaty.

5 Likes

I am interested on using the idea for a Summerboard gear drive upgrade where additional spacing is needed. It is that or using BN gears and flipping the motor.

3 Likes

After riding it miles and more test riders ride it, time will prove this structure is reliable and durable. Also for the weights, after use pom wheel gear next, it basically not much difference between 4GS ad traditional one.

For the hubs, 400 gram per hub, the next version will under that.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to cast doubt on its durability. I mean, it’s probably fucking bombproof. If durability was a problem, this would be the solution. I’m just saying that you very rarely hear about failures or excessive wear with existing GD products and if you do, it’s more often because of poor backlash calibration and/or lubrication than design & manufacture.

7 Likes

I get what u mean, that’s why everything will be pre-installed, our gear ratio is fixed, bearing all pre-installed. The user only needs to mount the clamp into proper positions and glue the motor gears. We are trying to reduce the mistake that users could make when installing it.

Also we are trying to make it bombproof, i don’t see over-designed is an problem for esk8. We don’t want to see riders getting hurt because the gear snapped or poor calibration. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Screenshot from 2021-04-26 23-35-37

3 Likes

What deductions can we make from this?

1. Gear drives have been known to break
  2. 6-8 of the people who knew about this poll and who have owned gear drives and who were inclined to respond have experienced broken gear drives(?)
    This one is tricky because it’s a multiple choice poll. One or more of the voters might’ve broken lots of kinds of gear drives.

What we don’t know from this is what causes GDs to break. Could be cos they were in dev/test or because they (consistently) failed to assemble their gear drive(s) properly, or because the GDs just weren’t durable enough. There are probably other explanations as well.

Whatever the stats and the reasons, I think we can probably conclude that, if you’re setting out to hammer the shit out of your board and you want a GD that can withstand that abuse, this is the GD you should be thinking about.

7 Likes

You should try testing with test rider 1 giving test rider 2 a piggyback through the forest for a few hundred KM . . .

. . . Or I could ride them for you :rofl::disappointed:

17 Likes

You should give a set to @NullBlox , if he cant break em no one can.

4 Likes

Since your using plastic gears are they gonna be cheaper than 300.00 a pair? Or possibly come with spare gears for replacements

3 Likes

Sounds really good - is that with the plastic or steel intermediary gears?

1 Like

I doubt it considering how many gears, bearings and general material there is in these.

7 Likes

slave gears is made by POM.

1 Like

I’ve been breaking plastic gears on rc trucks for years. Its the weakest link on the transmission. I didn’t start breaking spur gears until I started jumping and landing with the throttle on. Going all metal is the first upgrade any r/c racer has to make if they want to go fast and not have to back off the throttle. Plastic is fine for street but not for hardcore offroad …in my opinion.

5 Likes

You shouldn’t jump on a board while holding the throttle, the diffrence of speed on landing will simply strip the gears. Many companies use pom to make gears like 3dservisas, moon or trampa. Pom will make the drive more quiet and probably cut some of the costs.

New try :smirk::smirk:

And @Ean.esk8 just wow for the design! Sound seems closer to a belt drive setup in vidéo than other gear drives I’ve heard before too, that’s cool.

3 Likes

They’ll be brittle :joy:
Nitride coating is fine (That’s the same as tungstene, but with nitrogen gas etc.)
405 bis 1200 HV

1 Like