"Heavy Weather" | MBS Pro 97 DWII | DV6 Pro | 6396 | 12s7p | E-Toxx Chaindrive

Any context around that?
What was the discharge/charge rate at?
Does it really make a difference in our not linear discharge?
Wouldn’t be so sure about it.
I definitely would put vtc6 on one level with 30qs.
Winner is the one which you can get cheaper.

2 Likes

Take the test with a grain of salt. The test I just looked at the vtc6 cell was incredibly abused at a constant 15a drain and 4a charge for 50 cycles and only lost 11% capacity. The 30q only lost 6.9%. There are pros and con to every cell. Vtc6 has a higher discharge rate, less voltage sag. The 30q has longer life span by a few %. So it lost 11% capacity after being completely abused. Esk8 you aren’t abusing the cells anywhere near 15a constant discharge and nobody I know charges 4a per cell( that would be a 20a charger for a 12s5p). I myself use a 3a charger so thats .67a per cell. There are just trade offs between each cell.

2 Likes

Also I got the vtc6 cells because I got them for $2.59 per cell. The cheapest I can find 30q cell is $4.50 with moq. Fyi nkon doesn’t ship to the United states anymore so I got the best deal I could find and stocked up with 400 cells.

1 Like

Merci cher Monsieur!

1 Like

Most manufacturers take the 30Q for reliability reasons and the good life span.
It is by far the safest all around cell out there. If you have lower power setup or very big batteries (8p+) you can also use 35E. Samsung is leading the battery industry anyways, so there are multiple reasons to get the 30Q over any other 18650 cell.
Ok availability and price are legit reasons to go with another cell. A good over all alternative is the 40T if you can go 21700. Sanyo 20700B are also great cells, but I wouldn’t recommand any other cell for general purposes.
The VTC6 is a great race cell though, if you want to go with LiIon. But in race cases I probably would prefer LiPo anyways.

Sorry if I… but there some things I don’t want to let stay here like it is

Any backup to this statement?

Like any other cell which has around 8-10A.
By the way I personally wouldn’t use the 35E even on a 8p pack. Maybe on a 10p plus pack, but than there still cheaper options available.

No. There is no advantage on 40T cells over your beloved 30q. The only advantage they could bring is if you make a flat pack and can’t double stack but fit 21700 cells.
Compared in proper relation the 40T will lose over the 30q.

No? What’s with vtc5, vtc5A, lg hg2 just to name a view.

It’s even not the best cell Sony sells, so no it‘s not a race cell.

1 Like

Yes, like I said. Check out what most companies are using in their ESK8. Even in DIY it is the most used cell. It’s proven tech.

ok

Sure. It depends what you are meaning with proper relation. The 40T has higher current and capacity per l and per g.

They are good cells but wouldn’t recommand them if 30Q are available.

ok.

1 Like

Ok that’s an scientific evidence :ok_hand::+1:

Ok. Let me check, 40T 25-30A discharge 70g… 30Q 20A discharge 50g … 0,42 to 0,4… **you right **:+1:
Looks like a significant advantage.
Let’s just have a short look at the price tag thou. 40T 4.75€, 30q 2.80€ (nkon price) that’s 0,06€/g vs 0,04€/g so 1/3 more expensive.

5 Likes

The 30Q is simply used because it’s the most available and has a good price for the performance required from a board

Any modern cell is pretty safe, if you look at the extended datasheets there is a lot of tests that all cells has to pass to comply

Once you start going with more cells there are a lot of better options than 30Q

4 Likes

Can you name some?

Sure, the 35E already talked about, I really like the Sanyo NCR GA, the Samsung 29E is a cycle life monster and really cheap these days, Panasonic PF is still a great perfomer

If we are talking 20700 or 21700 you could go with Samsung 50E or Sanyo NCR B

2 Likes

Most manufacturers go with the 30q for the simple reason it is cheaper then the vtc6 by a decent margin. The only reason I got the vtc6 was for the rare circumstance that I got a really good deal but normally the 30q is far cheaper. Manufacturers are in to making money that is why 30q is king because price to performance.

2 Likes

Vtc6 are on sale on nkon since late summer. Prices not really differ much to the 30q, so for all who still can order from nkon it’s definitely a good and equal alternative to the 30q.

2 Likes

Duh!! I really don’t know why that didn’t occur to me! :man_facepalming:
Ok, that’s sorted.

I gotta say, it’s really pretty straightforward. It was only this that stumped me. Feel free to ping me if I can help at all though.

And has anyone yet expressed the deep sense of satisfaction you get from assembling precision engineered parts together? It’s almost tempting to disassemble everything so you can assemble it all over again! :relieved:

Yeah, @pjotr47 convinced me to go 30Q and built me a beauty. I think in retrospect though, the only thing I’d change is to go for a wider, flatter pack, if only for aesthetic value.

The plan for this week is to…

1. Take another look at the fastenings on the 6396 adaptors - I think I might need longer bolts in there. Those motors are stupid heavy.
  2. Prep the enclosure for painting (black).
  3. Make a start on all the electrical work. Why the hell are XT90s so hard to come by? They’re on backorder everywhere!

And thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!

3 Likes

I might have asked you elsewhere but can you link that junction box? Curious on the dimensions.

Take care an choose the length wise :sweat_smile:
I had bolts sticking 1mm into the housing which over time damaged the isolation of the phase wires inside the can and shorted two of my motors out.
Those incident as well took one focbox with it.
Something that doesn’t need to happen to others as well.

3 Likes

Bud Industries PTS 25338

Tech diagram here.

1 Like

If I’m reading Maytech’s tech diagram correctly, the bolt holes are meant to be 11mm deep. I’m measuring only 6mm. Of that, I’d say about 4mm is unthreaded (see the photo below). So there’s only 2mm of threaded depth in these holes? And that to fasten a 1.3 kg motor to the mounts!? That strikes me as pretty flimsy.

Two things: I wonder if that’s gonna be enough to stand up to the abuse they’re going to take off-road, and [2] it’s way too f cking easy to over-torque and strip the threading… which I did.

@Agnes_Maytech - can you comment on this and correct me if I’m wrong?

3 Likes

ho sh!!!t …

6mm only, minus 4mm no-threaded ?? sounds crazy.

this is a new diagram ?

good, they did the D44mm for holes pattern.
Before it was like that :

But you’re right to worry about.
Looking forward to Maytech’s feedback here.

3 Likes

I cannot order from nkon so my options are limited on good priced cells ; ;

2 Likes