Hangers with end nut vs shoulder bolts

Hello guys,
What are the advantages & disadvantages of hangers with end nut vs shoulder bolts.
Which one is preferred and why ?
Thanks

5 Likes

Shoulder bolt for press fit pulleys

3 Likes

Fixed axles

6 Likes

I prefer fixed axles because they can be one solid piece of steel from one end to the other end.

However, sometimes with precision CNC milled truck hangers it’s extremely difficult to do that. (not impossible, though…)

Also steel has a higher resistance to cyclic failure than aluminum.

Plus, I prefer the feeling that I have nylon (in a nyloc nut) and not just aluminum on steel to prevent it from backing-out.

5 Likes

Thank you @Grozniy , @moon, @b264 . Brian, given that the hanger body is precision aluminum and steel will not go all the way, I assume that you still prefer end nuts, bcs of the nylon issue… Am I right ?

1 Like

I like the versatility of a shoulder bolt and on paper it sounds great but after cocking around with spacers and different washers to get a decent race compression I cannot be bothered with it anymore.

Fixed axles all day

6 Likes

I personally like fixed axle with end nut. There’s maybe also some solution for keep using press fit mount with that condition, i can draw the idea later. But it also depends, if you are goin to make your own trucks with your own mount better go with fixed axle end nut coz you’ll have your own mounting system that compatible with the hanger tho.

2 Likes

Depends. If there was a way to innovate and have both… then both?

I asked a machinist and he said precision hangers could have solid case-hardened steel axles but

1. they’d need to be pressed in hydraulically
    and
  2. couldn’t use direct drive or anything applying rotational torque to the axle with that setup

Or maybe something as silly as just dropping a tiny nylon sphere/grubscrew/rod into the shoulder bolt threads.

1 Like

I prefer a plastic axel with paper mache pulleys all day. Nothing like good arts and crafts

9 Likes

They have those already :smirk:

7 Likes

I heated the raptor 3 is going to have them, better heat dispersal!

4 Likes

Could you explain this part, I couldnt get it, whats different about that electric longboard ?

It’s a pile of shit. Probably last one whole ride or maybe two if you’re lucky.

1 Like

The thing I love about shoulder bolts is adjustability.
I’ve now had the same pair of trucks on three completely different builds.
You don’t always want the same width on every deck.

5 Likes

Holy cow! I can imagine seeing one of my wheels roll past me while thinking “I hope that’s not mine…”

2 Likes

Just pray it’s a rear wheel.
Not to bad to ride out.
Now a front wheel… you in trouble

5 Likes

I think the general consensus is that for configurability shoulder bolts are the winner, for stability straight through axles within nuts are the winner.

4 Likes

Interchangeable axles w/ end nut. :+1:

8 Likes

This was a seriously hard choice for me. I ended up going with shoulder bolts because its cheaper, more adjustable, and stronger.

The average skate axle is made of chinesium steel that is usually hardened to around 35-40HRC, but varies in content and purity. I’d rather have a grade 12.9 bolt that is kept to an ISO standard with little variance in strength.

6 Likes

I think the week point on shoulder bolt hangers is the threading in the hanger.
It’s the one downside really.

7 Likes