Haggyboard Update

“hey Timo, I seem to have lost my entire set of bergmeisters and a whole set of Kahua trucks, can I get a replacement?”

3 Likes

we need bergs that are about 10-15mm wider. stretching tires is the good shit.

1 Like

now you’re winning with gold.

A big part of why (I think) Berg’s are nice is that 3-spoke design

1 Like

Is there a thread about this? Can you link some info?

1 Like

Yesterday

6 Likes

shut the fuck up and take my money. those look sick af

6 Likes

How do those tires perform/wear compared to the more commonly found Evolve and Sunmate tires??? Looks like that design has some serious promise!

they last a long time, take a beating, and eat the fuck out of your battery.

edit: I assume you were referring to the Clever 6x2 in the picture on the proto rims

They’re pretty hard, they last quite a while, and are tough. The quality of them hasn’t been too consistent for me. Some sets I get ride great, others not so much.

Thanks for the info. How is the grip and turning response with that flat profile? Looks like a pretty big contact patch. Makes sense they eat batter power!

I have not had much luck with consistency in ESK8 tires in general. Evolve tires are not good. I still need to try Sunmate tires. We really could use some better made pneumatics. When I was a cyclist, I would never tolerate the wobbly tires I see in ESK8.

1 Like

the tires don’t tuck, they run flat (slowly) and they grip very well. They’re just a hard rubber and soft rubber is better on range but worse on wear.

Besides contact patch is larger what are the pros of stretching a tire versus a normal tire?

Sorry if this is already been covered before.

less tuck, more grip in turns.

2 Likes

Oh man, tell me about it. I ate up the stock pneumatics on my Meepo Hurricane in about 250 miles. Now have some Evolve 6" ones. They are holding up better but they are not going to last much longer! Just need some new rims and I could give the Clever ones a try. Probably need to order extra incase some are seriously wobbly!

1 Like

the stock bergmeister wheels aren’t great with the stock berg tires when carving hard at speed. They tend to tuck. The clever tires are way better at it on the berg rims. But just cruising and not racing, per se, the stock Haggie tires are way better on range at full pressure.

3 Likes

Odd, I remember being on the phone with Riptide and ending up with Paris cups. The bushings I have are a standard barrel boardside and a street barrel roadside.

:thinking:

1 Like

I had always assumed the opposite was true? Wouldn’t a softer compound have more rolling resistance due to greater deformation, all else being equal?

2 Likes

all tires deform and that’s the crux of the issue i believe. softer rubber uses less energy to deform and when run at higher pressures, like the 60 pounds i run in my 8" Innovas, will produce less rolling resistance due to taking less deformation energy and thus less battery consumption. This is my theory based on my experience, but i’ve run just about every tire there is. Best 8" tires for range i’ve tried so far are the Innova Roadies from MBS, best 6" tires were the haggy tires. The clever 6" tiresd were the worst on range but better in other areas.

but literally any tire will take up to half your battery away compared to thane. best you can hope for is that it only takes about a third.

The fact that running Innovas on a 4:1 ratio (gears) on a 12S8P not quite doubles the range as thane on a ~1:2+ (belts) ratio speaks volumes about the tire. Yes, other factors are at play here, but i regularly get 27 miles on my 4P thane build and usually around 44 miles on my 8P innova build, and i ride my 8P faster on average.

I just accidentally ordered some Clever 8" nylon tires from Monster thinking they were something else and I expect them to suck my battery. They’re rated at 36 pounds but i put 60 in them anyway. We’ll see if they explode, if they feel like trash, ior if they put me in slow mode comoing back from Lilly’s (a 42 mile trek)

5 Likes

or if i find the mod and width then can i just buy any motor pinion with matching details

1 Like