Haggy drive vs Boardnamics M1 Drive

I’m planning my next build and am having trouble deciding what exactly I want to do. For about the same price, I can get the haggy drive with bergs or a Boardnamics M1 drive with TB 6374 motors (and cloudwheels, TB110s, or bergs). Which is a better choice? I love the idea of using gear drives but the haggy drive has an amazing reputation.

1 Like

haggy is amazing
everything they make is litterally the best stuff out there and the cs is super awesome

never used m1 drive but i would talk to @Athrx first

2 Likes

Yeah…exactly! I know everyone loves them but belts are still belts. It’s such a tough choice.

1 Like

Right now? Was awesome, has Timo started up again…?

5 Likes

Sadly not :frowning: But other people are selling their used haggy drives

nope but when he wasnt trapped halfway between asia and spain
he helped me a bunch when i needed stuff and then shipped a spare part to me (which broke) and i received within a day
haggy was the best stuff i ever used

the avio drive + kahua trucks + bergs = on of the best setups ive ever seen in my entire life

5 Likes

Not the right person to ask lol. My m1’s are wobbly for some reason and i tried everything to make them right. Most likely the bergmeister adapters are not true to center.
Also let’s get the idea of m1’s, 170kv motors and bergs out the window shall we…
I enjoy my max speed of 78km/hr (68 achieved) but it isn’t really for anyone…

3 Likes

I tried @Geo_Engineering_FTW 's bergs with belts and they are quite nice. A bit too silent for my taste…

6 Likes

dont get how people can like that roar given off by straight gears
my helicals are already to loud

3 Likes

The sound is intoxicating! At least in the videos, it is. I want my skateboard to sound like a jet!

2 Likes

What’s not to like here?

Although m1’s don’t sound half as loud or impressive

3 Likes

ahhhhh that noise is horrible
silence is the way

4 Likes

The thing with geardrives is they don’t change pitch at all, only frequency when speeding up.
So, when cruising along you’ll hear a constant buzz which doesn’t change much without smashing the throttle from 20 to 50

Here’s belts

And here’s geardrives

4 Likes

Oh, that’s good to know. I wouldn’t say it’s a deal-breaker but the lack of pitch change is downside for the gear drives.

1 Like

If they already howl from low speeds it’s great. If they sound like a truck engine braking/a car reversing fast then it gets annoying really fast. Unfortunately my m1’s howl from around 40km/hr upwards and start sounding like a jet engine from 55km/hr upwards

2 Likes

And startoffs/braking:

3 Likes

That sounds awesome, excited to get my BN gears in!!

2 Likes

The new helicals on the way have a softer sound than the straight cuts. For whatever reason, the straight cuts sound a little louder on urethane compared to pneumatics.

@Athrx Not sure what went wrong with yours. I tested a handful of the berg adapters and they all run true. The hub part is super sensitive to misalignment so from now on, all orders will be shipped with this bit already assembled. Also made the bearing for the hub part a press fit instead of a super close clearance fit.

6 Likes

I like the noise because I know my speed. My gears sound different at different speeds which gives me a quick estimate of what I’m doing

4 Likes

I found that filing the spokes of the adaptor for a looser tolerance and putting some hard but flexible dampening pads in there mostly fixed the sound. Still wobbly but keeps my sanity in check.
I also had to put a 0.2mm washer (1.2mm total) inside the geardrive to get a better mesh and less bouncing around. This also stops the wheel gears from rubbing on the clamp part under maximum acceleration.
Unfortunately they keep eating collar bearings alive after every single rain. They should officially reach 2000km of road use by the end of this week
25 march:

Reset yesterday at 473km :frowning:

1 Like