Gummies. A surprisingly good time for me

Hey guys!

I got a flat the other day in my RKP Kaly Hybrid. Oh shit! No spares!

I had some gummies laying around I got from @PixelatedPolyeurthan and thought I would give them a go while I wait for spares.

They are the Trampa gummies on Kaly wheels with SZ RKPs and pschotiller mounts. 170kv on 13s with a unity.

So everyone I talked to said they were just awful. Way too rough and just overall many negative experiences.

Well not for me on this set up. A bit rougher of course. But my god I was zipping around having a blast jumping curbs and sharp cornering.

Just a great time.

These things do need some improvement though to be really what we need.

First off, a little more thane (and better quality thane for that matter)

Instead of the 125mm it should be in the 135-145 range maybe. And also wider than the hub slightly would be bad ass if made properly.

Also, I think it would be amazing to have a layer of high density foam in there akin to the Cloud wheels.

Man oh man. If we could make this happen I think it would be just splendid.

So really just trying to open up the discussion here on something like this.

No flat tires and something in between street and offroad. But more like the flat gummie profile over those awful tubeless tires.

Probably pricey, but who is down? And what ideas do you guys have?

22 Likes

I thought these were universally hated too. How do you compare them to moestooge race wheels and cloudwheels?

4 Likes

Yeah they are very fun to ride on! I tried them on my DIY with evolve hubs (unfortunately they weren’t a perfect fit so had some wobble) but they were very nice to ride on.

1 Like

Oh so I have used Moe wheels and I love them. Never tried the clouds though honestly. And not keen to buy a set with all their hub shenanigans.

Definitely a little rougher than moe but felt sticky. It is a fun ass feeling I thought. Not quite right, but could be.
That’s why I want something with foam under there like moe is using. And thicker/higher quality thane. But part of the tire itself.

4 Likes

For a long time I wanted a set of these to check out; mainly for efficiency increase to aid the anemic batteries I had at that time.

Having not rode them and only seen them in action I must see one improvement. The urethane tire needs some sort of mechanism to resist the centrifugal force to resist separating from the hub at speed. Something akin to cords in tires?

4 Likes

I dont disagree at all. But I was definitely abusing them and all was ok.

1 Like

@torqueboards as I was saying…

MOAR thane!!! Plz

4 Likes

One reason why it uses this special urethane is to prevent stretching tires under centrifugal loads. The material is very sturdy. We didn’t make them to win races. I think it should be possible to glue them to the hub though.It also depends on the surface you ride on. Some people live in areas with good surface conditions, other live in areas with lots of glass from broken bottles. Gummies look good, never get a puncture and roll over pretty much everything. More meat would only make them wobble more, since weight would be higher and centrifugal forces would increase. Foam filling would need a core, which contradicts the design, being a replacement for pneumatics on the same hub.

6 Likes

i dream of a ~140mm urethane wheel akin to a tb110 that has 28mm bearing seats, but that means kegel core is out of the question

2 Likes

First off… I need to put these in my basket and debate buying them for the next couple months…

Secondly, I have always wondered how it looks with people jumping off curbs on a longboard :rofl: Have a video or something? :grin:

If we’re going down this rabbit-hole let’s go head first and design “gummies” to be foam filled over high quality rubber (aka moestooge) around a 140mm diameter and 65-75mm contact patch…

we can dream, can’t we?

Have you guys seen this?

double the gummies, double the yummies.

9 Likes

Nah.

4 Likes

Thats sweet, but still needs to be a bit thicker.

1 Like

You could totally have a thin core with foam in the middle and thane on either side.

But that isn’t what my man Frank sells, so it is complete bullshit. Naturally.

5 Likes

Try to make some and test out how it performs.

Well actually for the Cloud Wheels, it is a low density squishy foam that’s inside. It doesn’t do much in terms of support, it mostly contributes to weight saving, and wacky looks.

2 Likes

Please try to accept the fact that I said I like your product without dismissing the possibility for improvements.

Please, I beg you.

Or fuck off.

21 Likes

I have always thought that if these things were just a lil bit wider and made with nice cushy thane (perhaps the @torqueboards 72A, hint hint wink wink) that was banded on the inside surface to prevent stretching/tearing, then they would sell like hotcakes.

3 Likes

I liked them at low speed, but anything over 35kph they were wobbly as all fuck. They were on trampa hubs, but on evolve trucks. They had so much wobble that all the bearings were completely fucked.

If improvements were to be made, balance would be my suggestion.

1 Like