Grocery Getter Omakase – 10S1P P42A

Hi, Because I don’t like either hub motors or single belt motor drivetrain, I’m toying with the idea to start from this:

That is:
Motors: 2x Racerstar 5045 200kv

Pulleys: 12/36

Wheels: Caguma 85mm

Motor mounts: Aluminium Carbon PRO

And add the following components:

Battery: 10S1P P42A

Esc: Go-FOC DV4

BMS: Charge only LLT smart BMS 10S

Remote: Zmote

Some info about the board’s operational context:

Typical Route: 4Km – 2,4 mi on the flat

Rider’s weight: 74 Kg. /163 lbs

Max. desired speed: 20-25Km/h – 12-15 mi/h

The biggest doubt is range:

Esk8 calc gives me an Estimated Range of 13,5 km/8.4 mi with 10S1P p42A (4200mAh) which is ok to me.

It seems to me (I’m no technician) that such a calculation does not take into account the fact that there are two motors. Does anyone have a clearer idea than I do about what the actual range should be?

2 Likes

That calculator defaults to dual belt with urethane wheel efficiency, single motor is only slightly more efficient

2 Likes

I think it does account for two motors, though not explicitly. It bases it on whatever number is in the Avg. Energy Use box, and the default number of 11.2Wh/km is a sort of guess at how efficient a dual motor belt drive urethane build will be. The number changes wildly with how you ride (both how hard you accelerate and what road and weather conditions you’re in) as well as the more obvious ones like weight and speed. The lower the consumption number, the better the range, and we don’t tend to break down the per-motor efficiency or anything like that because VESC just reports total draw from the battery so you don’t need to account for that

From what I understand the default number isn’t stupid, it’s neither the worst nor best possible consumption.

For comparison I ride fairly gently (max speed on this board was 25km/h, but no push starts and not trying to baby the acceleration) and on a dual motor belt drive urethane build, at 100kg+ rider weight and an old tired battery that I think has degraded a lot I got 13.5Wh/km.

Speed: Motor Efficiency Discussion - #49 by janpom

Weather impact: Practical range/power consumption testing (serious)

Sorry for the wall of text but one last thing: probably don’t use a 12T motor pulley. The lower the tooth count, the less contact the belt has with it and it becomes far far more likely to get belt skip. I ran 12 for a while and it’s no fun, I was constantly worried about accelerating too hard (I’m not a high power rider at all) and it’s even worse for braking. That and I think it destroys belts faster because they do not like skipping

4 Likes

I have a similar setup with 2 5045s and a 12s1p p42a. I’m also running kegels instead of cags. In my experience I can maybe get about 8-9 miles in my setup, after that I’m crawling from voltage sag and might as well kick push.

1 Like

thanks for the interesting feed backs, I placed the order at Nkon for the batteries.
I was trying to get ahead of the work and did a little research on the racester 5045 hall sensors and found this diagram:

FireShot Capture 028 - 5045 140KV 200KV 280KV brushless sensored sensorless outrunner motor _ - it.aliexpress.com

(taken from the aliexpress page where I placed the order)

This one, on the other hand, is from the Racerster site.

racerstar hall sensor

+5V and Ground have reversed positions on the two schematics and I suspect it’s not a good idea to just plug the connector in the esc and see what happens.

Does anyone know the exact position of Ground and +5V ? @deltazeta ?

I would apply 5V to the wires and slowly turn the motor and see if the U pulses on (5V) and off (0V), and if not, reverse them and try again. But whichever wire is black is probably ground if it didn’t come from Future Motion, Inc.

3 Likes

I would just check the wire colors, I’d assume red/black is correct.

I’m running 12s1p 4ah on 2x 5055 motors, 80mm kegel, pretty similar setup. I get 15mi/24km+ if you cruise around ~15mph. If you full send you get less than 8mi/13km. Usually I am around 10-12mi to empty.

2 Likes

IIRC, its black is 5v/red is gnd. I wired it up backwards to start and sensor detection kept failing, so I guess in my case it has some sort of reverse polarity protection. ymmv, I got my motors directly from racerstar, but your AliExpress picture has gnd as black

I can double check after work if you still need it

2 Likes

Nope I remembered wrong, black is gnd, red is 5v. I probably tried the backwards way like on the racerstar website first.

3 Likes

It seems one of the two Racerstar 5045 200kv I purchased came with broken sensors. I tried to set them on FOC mode: one works ok, the other is clearly unsensored:

For the faulty one I get “255” on all hall sensor table values.
I will try to open and inspect it, but I am quite pessimistic. Anyway I need a spare motor and, surprise, currently banggood, the seller of the racester motors, is out of stock.

Does anyone sell them maybe in the EU?

The on stock alternative I found would be the Brushless DC Motor H5045 200KV 1150W which at least mechanically would seem to be the same product. Can anyone confirm this? Is it a bad idea?