GRIZZLY | Trampa HS11 | 12s6p 30Q | 170kv 6374 | Vertigo | E-TOXX Helical mini | dual FOCBOX

Yeah got it working on the old motors :ok_hand:

1 Like

Nice! Did you have to do anything special? Does it seem pretty reliable?

1 Like

What attatchment is that on your dremel? Cuts through plastic nice?

Been using the “beginner kit” sanding tips. They work well enough but that looks like it’d take some material off

1 Like

I didnt really use it, since I really didnt like the beeping sounds it made :rofl: It did seem to work better than sensorless for sure.

Furthermore I used this workflow suggested to me by @sesat: and the hfi setup video by deodand

if you are worried about the CANBUS chips then disconnect the CAN cable while configuring and testing each ESC separately. That’s how I do it.

I define “master” vs “slave” ESC based on which device has the radio receiver plugged in - that’s the master. I start with plugging the master ESC into my laptop but I don’t think the sequence makes a difference.

On the master ESC, in the app configuration ppm tab enable “multiple esc over can” and traction control. In the app configuration general tab set the controller ID to 0. In that general tab I set the app to " no app" while I do motor detection to confirm that the ESC and motor is working well together and spinning in the correct direction. Then I change the app in that general tab to “PPM” and then calibrate the center point, end points, and deadband for the radio transmitter.

On the slave ESC, in the app configuration general tab set the app to “no app”, set the controller ID to 1. In that same tab, I check the box to enable “send status over CAN”. I run motor detection to confirm that the motor is spinning up.

I apply the same motor/battery settings to each ESC individually, of course. You know, the current limits and all. When I’m done, I cut the power to both ESC’s and plug in the CANBUS cable and then turn the ESC"s both on. At this point, I test the radio transmitter throttle to confirm that both motors spin

2 Likes

It works very well, makes quick work of the job.

3 Likes

HSS Endmill, I think.

I would start with allow better cooling of ESC if this is actually the bottleneck … if your motors dont overheat also

2 Likes

Thanks, motors are fine, max 50 degrees. So will probably make some sort of aluminium heatsink.

Actually the focbox sits without heatsink or fans inside of battery case, give her some air to breath :+1:

2 Likes

Make a case with heatsink holes and with a gasket. :grin:

1 Like

Yes before the case was opened for the heatsinks. Plan now is to make a unified heatsink which will be partly exposed to the outside :ok_hand:

Working on the cooling for the vescs. I will use an aluminium plate to attach the vescs to, thus creating a unified heatsink. The plate will be in contact with the outside air. Enclosure hole will be sealed. I also got a 40x40 mm heatsink I could stick on. However the heatsink will be attached with thermal heatsink tape so im not sure if this will be an improvement over the bare aluminium. Suggestions very welcome!!

9 Likes

Did some small jumps yesterday, definitely have to train a bit to jump higher. I also have some heel straps coming my way which will definitely improve jumping. My goal is to jump over 10 cm thick/high objects (e.g. logs, vines, rocks) by the end of 2020.

Jump

9 Likes

Crave i have an old dual focbox Alu heatsink i machined and don’t use anymore bc I upgraded to vesc6’s. I can send to you if you want to just pay shipping. Just throwing it out there

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, soonds good! Do you have a picture?

ive also been out in the woods today jumping. im at the same level as you really, cant jump any higher than that or the landings get sketchy. The key is to land with the deck flat and dont land with the toes pointing downwards!

Also loving this build! the dry box is super cool!

4 Likes

After a few jumps Im definitely looking forward to get more into jumping its awesome! Just imagine riding, spotting a vine or a thick branch and casually jumping over it like its nothing thats my goal haha. And yeah Im im trying to keep the deck balanced in air.

And thanks for the compliment means a lot coming from you! Cant wait to see your new setup :wink:

1 Like

yeah I actually jumped over some logs myself today - nothing major and you would be able to clear them with that jump you did in you GIF! I agree, for me its the best fun. I like doing it in an urban environment too - popping up and down curbs is super fun

oh and you 100% need heel straps you madman! game changer

2 Likes

Gonna try some obstacles once I have the heelstraps. And curbs sound fun ill put them on my list :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

The real fun begins when you can jump UP curbs… then the world is your playground.

Have fun!

1 Like