GPS Skate Trackers are here!

Just to get the facts straight.

TLDR
Different frequencies are used in different parts of the world.

GSM = 2G, old tech.
UMTS/WCDMA/CDMA-2000 = 3G, old tech.
LTE = 4G, currently the most modern cellphone tech out there.
Next up is 5G which is piloted by many Telcos.

What technologies and frequency band/channel do your location tracker support? We could based on that figure out where it will work.

Too long version:

• GSM is also known as 2G and have a small data throughput. The GSM modems are often cheap. The GSM networks are outdated but they are still alive for many reasons, e.g. Telco’s have heavily invested in the infrastructure, SLAs on wholesale and alot of Machine-to-machine-subscribers with GSM-modems. Where I am from the largest Telcos are going to shutdown GSM in 2025.
  • UMTS is also known as 3G, WCDMA, CDMA-2000. A bit better throughput but outdated tech. Where I am from the 3G-networks are mostly being shut down through 2020 (next year).
  • LTE is also known as 4G. A lot better throughput and latency than previous generations. The whole access technology is better. The technology has advanced and developed and given better options for machine-to-machine (M2M). NB-IoT is one of these improvements for M2M, which use very little power. Of course meant for small data volumes. Mobility is not supported yet, but it may come. Another part of the 4G-tech is LTE-M, which use a bit more power, can do a bit higher data throughput and supports mobility. Not saying this goes for all
    Telco’s, but if they have updated their software and hardware it is supported. 4G will work side by side with 5G for quite a while.
  • 5G is coming. Currently pilots are running many places.

Best option where I am from is probably a LTE-M device with a GPS/Glonass-module hooked up.

In addition: Different parts of the world have different radio frequency regulations. Some devices support a lot of them, others don’t.

4 Likes

I think you will find the native tracking rather good on 5G :smirk:

1 Like

@BuildKitBoards wow this is great - what fast response to a known community need! You rock!

4 Likes

So basically, even if we bypass the BMS for discharge for the ESCs, we can still hook the tracker up discharging through the BMS on “P-” and therefore it will be turned off if the battery gets critically low, before any battery damage happens. But the loop key (or antispark) still won’t turn off the tracker.

That’s why I’m confused why there is a switch at all.

Your profile is missing your country
hint, hint :wink:

I had the same question if your using the p- why would you need a switch if bms would take care of not over discharging the battery.

1 Like

If you don’t want the switch, take it off. It’s that simple.

What’s the point of having this on 24/7 when it’s locked in your house? Just drains the battery, requiring you to charge up longer when you want to ride. In the ends it’s up to your use case.

2 Likes

Having a number that can be texted, which texts-back my ride’s exact location, does more than help fight theft. It also wins tons of brownie-points with the girlfriend figures.

Plus, I leave my boards plugged in anyway :smirk:

4 Likes

Hopefully sometime soon we can get one that has live tracking on an app of some sort with more information we can use

That would probably use too much data for an ultra-cheap text-only plan. The bottleneck is the communication.

1 Like

Noted and corrected :norway:

3 Likes

Something that i really like is the automatrics tracker, which also has RF tracking. Not sure of its form factor, but its monthly plan is like 15 euro and their RF tracking services are only UK based i think. But it serves to show the range of technology that could be used!

This tracker has an app for iOS and Android, you just need to add data to the sim plan. It’s convenient but costs more

Yeah needs to be zero subscription and work in conjunction with any mobile iOS/Android even fucking Blackberry

If I understand correctly this will hit all those points, nice product dude

2 Likes

It will work with any phone you can send text messages to (text only plan)

The app (not required) only runs on iOS/Android and requires you to get data on the plan

3 Likes

That is very reasonable

2 Likes

fuk me. that website. my eyes

5 Likes

Just got off the phone with US Mobile, the rest of the GSM sims are on the way! Will be here in 3 days… Rest of the order will go out then!

Get yours now, they are selling fast!

3 Likes

I wish there was more crime where I live so I could justify this.

5 Likes

Will you be heading to Denver? Great add on to be sure your board isint lost if your shipping it!

5 Likes