GPS based data logger, cell balance, speedo, trip meter, SD card

Requires a SMART BMS with Bluetooth adapter. Only needs 5V off of the SERVO output on the VESC. No comms with VESC are required. Internal GPS and battery parameter logging features currently captures over 35 discreate values. Also outputs a .kml file suitable for display on Google Earth. Data transfer is SD card but I’m trying to shoehorn in Over The Air (OTA) data transfer. No I wasn’t flying in the pic below, GPS altitude is unreliable. I’m thinking about adding a barometric altimeter. The “gas gage” is absolute AmpH remaining. I both charge and discharge through BMS. About 100 miles on that config and it is working great so far. Using it for comparative analysis on different motor/ drive/ battery configurations. ESP32 based. Firmware available on GITHUB if there is interest. Full up cost if you have a 3D printer is about $30US to put it together.

NOT A DAVEGA competitor! JanPom’s device is so much more (the cell voltage monitor widget (upper left in picture) is my implementation, his credit)… This unit is useful if you want to geek out on big steaming piles of data. Or if you want to capture that awesome ride along the coast and see how all of your energy and dynamic parameters were acting while doing it!

15 Likes