Good Deals Thread

I don’t agree that unless you have firsthand experience with MBoards, you can’t develop an opinion about their service.

I had multiple friends get hosed by Mr. Beard back in the day, to the point where I wouldn’t have dreamed of buying from him.

Mike went on .builders, apologized for his poor service, then did it all over again. Patterns matter.

In fairness, we’re talking about two years ago, and they do seem to have gotten better and are running a fairly reputable store these days.

I’m glad to hear they’ve taken care of you. Every positive story like yours moves the needle further into the black. But the slate is not yet fully clean.

13 Likes

He’s gonna make it all the way back into good standing & then @kook is gonna come out of nowhere & loot the entirety of his fully stocked warehouse

A fitting end

3 Likes

Sorry, I didnt communicate properly. I know there are people on here who have had issues in the past. I dont feel strongly either way, i just tread lightly and have yet to experience anything really negative on any orders, emails, etc.

2 Likes

I got my Stormcore 60D+ from Mboards (only one that had it in stock} and the overall process was good. Dispatched in a timely manner and arrived OK. Would have liked it to have been boxed rather than double jiffy bagged but it arrived working.

I had a query on it as it had 60d marked on it not 60d+ but turned out it was manufactured missing the +. Plugging into pc confirmed it was the right model in vesc tool.

Only issue I had was I got it with a discount but Mboards still put the original value on the packing label so I paid customs / vat based on that, not what I paid. I emailed them and they said it was right and stopped replying. Only talking a few pounds so suppose it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Is that true though? I’ve never heard of the printing mistake on stormcores.

2 Likes

I checked with lacroix and they said to check for sure, either check in vesc tool or open it and look at the printing on the board. I didn’t want to void the warranty but it definitely shows up as the 60d+ in vesc tool. Mboards said it was a printing error on the batch. The lacroix warranty label is still in tact too.

3 Likes

Cool good to know. I’m gonna check mine out later.

3 Likes

You can also tell by seeing if the second uart port is enabled and working with FW 5.3

3 Likes

This is really important to highlight. Those stickers are completely illegal. For @MikeBeard to be using them is a real shitbag move, and he should stop immediately. Mike, if you dont want to offer a warranty on your parts, just say that up front before a customer buys it.

10 Likes

We should probably make a Thread @xsynatic what are your thoughts

1 Like

I’m a bit confused. Is the original lacroix warranty invalid because he isn’t an official reseller or something? Why does he even have anything to do with the warranty. I can’t really find a whole lot about warranties on either lacroix or mboards. I see mboards has a third-party warranty for sale which is a bit odd to me, and I see the lacroix site mentions a “limited warranty statement” on the stormcore page. I can’t find the warranty statement though.

2 Likes

Got the below on an email from lacroix when enquiring about the stormcore

“As for warranty, we do cover manufacture defects and we evaluate everything else accordingly with the team if you have any issues.”

1 Like

Also, let’s not forget that “innovative” XT90S:

fss7a6h2e2n41

7 Likes

I may or may not have a tattoo planned based on how I shorted out a battery and detonated an XT90 because of that specific stupid idea

4 Likes

I posted about this on IG, and @mikebeard talked about it on his podcast.

I had a response to his segment, but I decided against saying anything. Mostly because it would be weird for my Onewheel audience to suddenly see some video bitching about someone they never heard of, and frankly that podcast only got a couple hundred views so why bother boring a couple thousand of my viewers for something relatively inconsequential.

Either way, yes, those stickers are illegal, and for a DIY vendor, they’re a crappy thing to do.

And the things talked about on that podcast episode were very unfortunate and betrayed a mildly concerning lack of knowledge and forethought on the topic of right to repair, what it actually means, how a retailer’s return policy differs from a manufacturer warranty, etc.

It was mostly just a sob story about how eskate customers are scummy assholes (which I know plenty, I run a repair shop).

And they skipped over the issue as far as the meat and potatoes.

That’s all I’ll currently say…since I value @ShutterShock 's opinion of me and he gets a bit bugged when I get too bitchy about ZZ Top’s drummer.

At the very least, MBoards responded.

Which is more than I can say about @BuildKitBoards who ghosted me and left me with a small pile of useless crap. But also their poor quality products has brought me another prospective repair/rebuild customer so I guess that’s technically a good deal.

10 Likes

Yesss ok this is exactly what I meant before about a sort of naivety and lack of thinking about where obligations lie and how this works. Whether this is the implicit quagmire of customer trust and goodwill, or the much more clear law and basic requirements of a sale. Glad I’m not losing it

5 Likes

This aspect of Ryan never fails to amuse me.

3 Likes

What’s wrong with xt90s connectors?

2 Likes

the esc is supposed to have the male XT90, not the female XT-90s.

4 Likes

Oh, because then it’s easier to short the battery with the other xt90?

3 Likes