Good Deals Thread

unity for 225 if you wanna try your luck

4 Likes

Lol “this is considered used, no warranty at all” feels distinctly illegal, even if it might not be in freedomland. A commercial seller saying hey this might be broken so here’s a price that’s $26 ABOVE its MSRP a year ago and no warranty, good luck fucker

13 Likes

You would think they would just, ya know, do a little quality control. Beards high on his recent reputation uptick and making mistakes, perhaps?

2 Likes

can’t do quality control unless u actually use the esc, u don’t know if it will pop itself on motor detection like those ubox :rofl:

2 Likes

nah I reckon it’s (not derogatory) naivety, like a lot of people might have the thought that if they list something as not having a warranty that’s fine. In the same way kids repost music videos and say “I don’t own the copyright, no copyright intended” and think the disclaimer is enough, just like a lack of experience combined with a general lack of critical thinking

1 Like

“roll the dice ourselves, sell the survivors full price,” vs “who wants to buy a cheap ticket to play esc Russian roulette.”
Personally, I’d pick option a, especially with a just starting to improve reputation as a kinda shady company.

Hell, they could’ve just dropped them on eBay “as is” and kept their brand outta it and it would’ve been a better move.

3 Likes

idk man, even if mboards is improving, money still going to JP, so im out

2 Likes

This smells like him, too.

3 Likes

like? no no, im 101% sure, with that wrong connector on the esc, only JP would do that. just like how FM have flip polarity :melting_face:

4 Likes

Oh jeez I hadn’t even eyeballed it. The fuck? :rofl:

“All unopened! Except for 2 boxes” oh my God I can’t even

It just looks to me like they’re dumping the remaining inventory since switching over to carrying Stormcore. I think they should offer a doa refund type warranty, but as said they could have just dumped them on eBay. $225 might be over msrp from last year, but with parts shortage still a thing I’ve seen a few used sell on here in that price range

2 Likes

Yeah the price is definitely arguable, with a lot of grumbling from me. But there’s a big difference between a tested and light to moderately used ESC from someone reputable here for $230 vs a strongly suspected of being ded one from someone with a mixed reputation who’s explicitly said he won’t help you if it’s goosed

2 Likes

is it an issue with the latest batch or something? how do you differentiate between a “good” unity and a bad one?

The ones that say “unity” are bad

5 Likes

u mean this? or u bein facetious haha

2 Likes

I was going off this but maybe I misunderstood and they were just talking about unities in general being sketchy. It could also be that mboards were having to deal with a high failure rate because unities in general have a high rate

2 Likes

Lol, sorry, not serious.
Later batches seem to be more hit and miss than earlier ones. That’s about all I know of em

2 Likes

yeah that’s what I’ve heard as well. honestly between all the uboxes popping lately, the price on the dv6, and stormcore being unobtainable, imma give it a go, fuck it

4 Likes

I bought one from MBoards in December and it blew on the first ride. I emailed with some info from a thread here and pics of the fried component and Mark warrantied it no problem. He never said it but, at the time, i got the feeling that they may have been a recurring issue. That’s just speculation though. I have recieved great service from them personally and will continue to use them if they have stock on an item that i want fast because orders get to me in PA in 3-4 days tops.

Im somewhat new to the community so i wasnt around when some of the issues i read about occurred. In my opinion it seems as though a lot of people who have not had a bad experience or have never even ordered from MBoards are quick to tell you all about how terrible they are. My dealings have always been satisfactory.

5 Likes

I’m conflicted about Mike Beard. I avoid mboards lightly at this point, but it feels like they don’t operate in the interest of the DIY community even though they’re exclusively a diy shop. I had a brief conversation with him about the warranty void if removed stickers on the stormcores he sells, and his justification was something along the lines of

If it’s within warranty, just don’t open it.

Uhh, no, that’s not how this works. Not only are warranty void if removed stickers ILLEGAL AND UNENFORCEABLE but it’s pointless to prevent someone from opening an esc. Like, what is someone gonna do to it? Replace components? You can visually tell when that happens too. If he’s worried about people swapping the board with a dead one and trying to exchange it, then put the sticker on the PCB itself, not the shell.

3 Likes