Golf Skate Caddy

Do you think this is a power switch? I would start by useing a multi meter seeing if rotating the switch makes and brakes polarity by switching it.

If it was plugged in switched on with no anti spark this could happen or the ESC could be shorted.

2nd I would try powering it up with a PSU (Most chargers are PSU’s should boot up check if there’s and very slowly add a small amount of throttle the wheels should turn. To mutch throat and to many amps will be demanded from the charger and it will drop the voltage or cut out but shouldn’t damage any thing. It the charger voltage drops as soon as it’s turned on id suspect the ESC is tost

Might want to reupload that :wink:

Polarity was double and triple checked, yes.

I am 90+% sure the ESC is toast as Darkie suggested. Nothing happened when I first plugged it in. And nothing happened after I turned on the switch… Smoke came out after the wheels rolled for just a split second. Now the display is dead (which is also where the power button is).

I am ordering a new VESC. Is the Flipsky dual 4.20 what I want??? Get the pro w the included switch? I had already installed a separate anti-static switch but not sure if that is now toast or not too?

1 Like

you could risk it with a flipsky esc, good idea to order it on amazon with the cheap purchase protection in case it randomly blows up

This one is a better choice, yes? Just trying not to break the bank til i know what’s what. :slight_smile:

Also, with one like this that has a switch included… I’m confused if I need an ADDITIONAL antispark switch as well?

Last, what remote would u recommend with this?

2 Likes

usually people with a dual VESC based esc like that DV4s will use a loop key switch for emergencies or if that internal switch fails.

You do not. Also, the circuitry in the new Makerx stuff isn’t an antispark circuit, it’s an ultra low power consumption sleep mode, as far as I know. So they’re unlikely to break.

Might as well just get a puck, it’s really the best you can get right now. I still want to recommend the vx4 but until they put in a better pot I can’t really do that

Ok guys… After a healthy wait, the stuff has arrived (hoyt st Puck and makerX Go FOC DV4s).

Since I still know basically nothing about the motors… How should I proceed in first testing / connecting them. I guess step one is to completely remove all the old controllers first?

I’ll also need to figure out how to splice the tiny control wires into the round plug wire.

As that is what each motor accepts.

What other tips guys… I dont want to blow anything up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“control wire”

“What the motor accepts”
confused

Each motor has 2 bundles of wire coming out of it. 1 is the typical 3 wire cluster of 12awg wires that connect to the esc, and the other are these tiny 5-wire cables which I assume also connect to the esc. Only on the esc, they are flat white connectors, whereas at the motor side they are these round plugs instead.

1 Like

Ah ok those sound like just standard hall sensor wiring connectors.

All In One Schematic / Diagrams
you might find a good idea here.

if you can follow back to the esc from that 5 pin connector and figure out what wires are red/black that should be ~5V and the other 3 are the hall sensors. Seems like no 6th wire that is usually temp sensor, watch out for melting your motor with the VESC powa!!!

That’s what I mean… How do I make sure I don’t do that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

test run with like 15-25A ride it pretty hard uphill. Check motor temps with hand or laser temp gun. Adjust amps as needed.

You could also go sensorless first and try that out

1 Like

Ok guys, it’s been a while… But, lots of progress to report.

1. I have a brand new, purpose-built 10s6p battery from @SBS! Super high quality, and was a massive help in digging through all the requirements with me, btw!

2. I have the DV4s hooked up, the hoyt Puck synced up, and a green light on the switch with no issues.

3. Note that I do NOT yet have the sensor wires hooked up as I am still waiting for a new cable extension for the male end that was damaged.

4. The entire “guts” of the prior boards system have been removed. Receiver, dual esc’s, and all the old cabling removed, and replaced w new 3/12 motor wires, etc.

Alas, nothing happens when I text the hoyt Puck, which I am guessing means I need to setup the DV4s on the pc?

I’m struggling to find a sort of definitive “manual” on how to do so? Also, can I do it before I install the sensor wires? Or is that why it’s not working yet? What other settings should I be paying attention to… What other tips? Last thing I would obviously want to do is fry any of this stuff. :smirk:

Thanks all!

1 Like

Meant to attach picture above.

You don’t need to attach sensors you can run it sensorless and with sHFI it honestly will run mostly fine.

There’s the motor FOC wizard in the VESC app and then after that you’ll need to run the input wizard. Those are the two most basic things you need to do to minimally get going.

Some extras you’ll have to setup battery current after the wizard. And you’ll need to setup absolute max current on each side.

Yeah not sure if there’s a tutorial somewhere maybeeeeee @b264 has one of those links handy.

I know nothing about the motors. How do I know if i have an “inrunner” or an “outrunner” and what “g” they are???

Well, the good news:

Did some testing today, and got it running!

The bad news:

The belts slip a LOT and it feels pretty sketchy sometimes.

Any ideas on how I could convert it to hub motors? Needs some GIANT trucks and wheels since the battery hangs so low under the board.