🌴 Go-FOC DV6 / PRO <High Current Dual ESC >

Wasn’t it forbidden to distribute the Vesc-tool itself from other than the official vesc tool page?

1 Like

Let’s not complicate things more than we have to @xsynatic . It’s open source so it doesn’t matter anyway.

1 Like

I’m genuinely asking since it was discussed at some point iirc.

I think it’s just like the FW. If you do distribute it, you must provide the source code in physical form upon request. That’s my understanding of the GPL, but I might be wrong.

3 Likes

If you do so, you need to add your branding, remove all VESC branding, offer sources and then service the Tool yourself.

@YUTW123 YOU MAY NOT DISTRIBUTE VESC-TOOL! This is software from Mr. Vedder and he distributes it via his channel. There are very good reasons to have it this way!

See it this way: It is branded software and only the brand owner or license holder can distribute products under that brand.

If you wish to distribute it, you need to use your own branding or simply link to VESC Project .

1 Like

Thank you David for providing the source code to the firmware!

For anyone interested, I ran a file diff comparison between the official 5.03 HW60 release and the MakerX 5.03 DV6 PRO release.

The only files that were changed were in the hardware configuration parameters.

Shunt resistance value was changed and the motor currents were increased. Nothing else of note.

Details:

17 Likes

I tried 5.2 and 6.0 and the issue persists. The only way I could make it better was to measure offsets in FOC tab (FW 5.3) and THEN perform detection. Motors sound weird at low duty cycles and after picking up speed they become smooth again.

1 Like

Please keep the discussion in this thread about the Maker-x DV6.

11 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I will delete the download link right away!

THX a lot for taking action!
Vedder wants to assure that people actually get what they are looking for.
If VESC-Tool would be available from multiple sources without quality control, users get confused and it is also not guaranteed that they are all 100% the same software. So the only way to handle it is having one source distributing the software under the Vedder brand. Others simply need to use their own brand.

It’s GPL code, you could do a better job with license representation/links to original source, but you are allowed to rehost the unmodified or modified code. In fact the entire point of open source is to publish changes & improvements you’ve made.

Frank is not the author, he is harassing you because you sell a competing product. He has an established history of this behavior. Just ignore him.

12 Likes

We give a dam about someone selling hardware as long as the manufacturer sticks to the GPL and TM Policies. Everyone is welcome to produce HW and sell it and the FWs are even added to VESC-Tool!

Stormcore, raiden, FOCers, U-Box, you name it…

2 Likes

what’s this?

3 Likes

May I ask how to add firmware to VESC tool :joy:

3 Likes

Create a GitHub account, fork the appropriate repository (VESC-TOOL and/or BLDC firmware), publish your code changes to your fork and then create a Pull Request to the upstream repo.

If you have any questions or need any assistance in getting this setup, shoot me a PM, I’m happy to help.

13 Likes

Great! Thank you

7 Likes

Will it have custom firmware? Or 75/300

2 Likes

Via pull request is the best option.
Make sure your offer is GPL compliant
Make sure you stick to Vedders TM policies.
Have a close look at your Website!

Make sure to test the fw frequently, in combination with the BETA- Tool. Vedder won’t have time for that.

If possible try to avoid the need for special FW. To avoid fw clutter and confusion.

6 Likes

second this.
never had problems with orders or something.

1 Like