Gettin' another build together: 16s8p | New MTB deck and other fun toys

I want to put some kind of finish on the heatsink but I don’t know where to start. Anodizing at home looks like a bigger project than I want to take on. I might see if I can find a local service that will do it for me.

Then there is always paint, but that would insulate the heatsink and possibly look ratty. Regardless, it’s an easy solution.

2 Likes

If anodizing a small quantity, I’d definitely recommend using a service rather than DIY. Last year I did an at-home anodizing setup with a buddy and it took the better part of 2 weekends to find success. Gnarly acid and time consuming iterations of process settings (tweaking current & time). In the end it was not economical for half a dozen parts. In my experience.

4 Likes

I got a little surprise in the mail today. I didn’t think these would be ready in time to try out on this build. This is a side project that I’ve been working on. I wanted a different type of binding and I came up with this ratcheting toe-clamp idea. My friends and I rode on 3D printed renditions of these this summer and they worked nicely, so I got some molds made. These are 30% fiberglass filled nylon. They are super strong and sturdy. This set is the proofs. If I like them I might get a big batch made.

23 Likes

This stuff works awesome on metal but do Light coats

VHT

You could usually find them at your local Automotive hardware store

2 Likes

I got my hands on one of the non-incendiary versions of the Ubox for this build. I’m digging the purple.

7 Likes

Let us know how that beta V2 ubox goes
how many Mors code taps to switch from A to B ble??

1 Like

Moon: Moon-drives don’t work with Xcell rims.
Land-surf: Xcell rims don’t work with Moon-drives.
Tomiboi: Hold my iced-coffee with lightly-sweetened, vanilla-flavored almond milk.

Moon needed more time on his rims so I bit the bullet and picked up a pair of Xcell Alloy wide-rims. Thank goodness I can write this shit off on my taxes. The Xcell bolt pattern matches the MBS pattern so I figured I had a chance at making an Xcell/Moon-drive adaptor. Strangely, right next to the MBS holes on the Moon-drive mounts there are these big holes, and I don’t know what they are for, but if the heads of the bolts on the Xcell rims are extended out, they fit in those holes. Well, almost fit, I drilled them out just a tiny bit. To the extend the bolt, I got a longer set of bolts and made a 6mm spacer.

So there you go. Xcell rims fit on moon-drives. This spacer is 3D printed but I’m going to make one out of aluminum once I refine it a little. Now I just need to build the battery for this monster. See you all 3000 spot-welds from now!

28 Likes

You just saved me 600 dollars thanks tomiboi :wink:
For science :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

They were for mounting pressfits to or to slot bolt heads into. But the tolerances were off in those adaptors. Batch 7 adaptors will be compatible with xcell wheels

5 Likes

#gonnagetsued

Nice work Tomi! Have fun with the battery! What welder you got?

2 Likes

bruh

5 Likes

Thanks man. I have a Kweld.

3 Likes

Do you have a picture of the rear end? Would be interesting to see the clearance between the hanger and motor

2 Likes

There’s plenty of room. 8mm at the very closest point.

12 Likes

I’m really enjoying the ride. The wheels are great on corners. Aso the side-walls are thick. If I have a blow-out, I think it might not be a total catastrophe and I could even ride on a flat for a while.

The Luna 350s are great. I really like the idea of super-wide RKPs designed specifically for AT decks. I beefed up the bushings quite a bit. I went with medium duro, Riptide Krank Chubbys everywhere, softer on the road side than on the board side. This set-up has been stable at higher speeds while still allowing me to carve nicely. These trucks can turn tighter than channel trucks and I enjoy carving on them more as well. And, of course the Moon Helicals have been stellar.

The deck is everything I wanted it to be. Stiff with just a little snap to it. She can fly. The double-concave really worked out well. I got the amount of concave right. It gives nice arch support, I feel really locked in and I have better leverage on corners. It’s a comfortable deck with a lot of room.

The power is ridiculous. I made it up to 40 mph today on some fresh ashphalt. The battery life is almost bottomless as far as my usage is concerned. I’m looking forward to some really long adventures

I really like the OSRR remote. The build is incredible compared to any other remote. It rides very nicely and it is feature rich. I hadn’t tried out the FreeSK8 app until I got the remote. I love it. It’s the best App that I’ve used yet. It’s soooo easy to change VESC settings on the go. If I had a gripe about the remote, It’s a little big for me. I have stubby thumbs, so it’s a touch harder to reach the throttle. When OSRR guts are available, I’m going to have some fun making a custom enclosure.

22 Likes

I cannot recommend the Flipsky 63100 motors. Mine are making a blood-curdling scream between 25-30 mph, which is a very common speed range for me. It’s kind of intolerable. I’m going to spring for some Bioboards 65100s when I get the money.

5 Likes

Oh no! That’s the first bad feedback I’ve heard on flipshit motors - the motors were thier only saving grace

This is gorgeous

1 Like

They have some new ESC offerings that might be ok. Of course, they’re unavailable right now. The motors do work well, but that scream is crazy.

1 Like

This seems to randomly be found on some of their motors, others like the 84’s included. No idea what I really causes it, but it is kinda gross.

4 Likes