General Consensus on Belt Drive Setup...let's find the optimal configuration

Hi guys. I was never a big belt drive fan, but started to look into that for a new project I have in mind.
On the other forum there is a very nice discussion started by @TowerCrisis (https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/why-dont-people-use-gt3-pulleys-and-belts/71058) about the use of GT3 belts and related pulleys.
I kept reading a bit and overall understud that GT3 belts are far superior than the classic HTD 5M belt althought they perform better on GT2/GT3 pulley while most of the users this pair them with HTD 5m pulleys. Probably due to the lack of GT2/GT3 pulleys on the market. Giving the fact that GT3 has a slightly different profile compare to HTD I have found online pulley generators for both HTD and GT3 profile but I do not clearly see the difference there. Of course the generator can be wrong but wonder what are your opinion about the use of GT3 belts/pulleys and what you actually use in your set up?

For instance this openscad generator can make both of them (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23161220), but they look different compare to the specs listed from the manufacturing company SDP/SI https://www.sdp-si.com/PDFS/Technical-Section-Timing.pdf

4 Likes

to me looks like the slope on the gt2 is not as steep so the ‘peaks’ don’t look as mushroomy as the htd5…

true taht what we get from the generator but different than the pdf. I mean GT2 is less deep but the profile is different.

1 Like

Even though I’m installing a gear transmission on my board, when you look coldly at the torque/power/speed that need to be transmitted on a Esk8, belt seems to be the solution, but which one???

that was my question too. Looks like that HDT 5M 15mm wide belt is the cheap while still good solution most of us is using. 5m is to avoid belt from skipping, otherwise 3M will allow you to use bigger ratio in the same space.
GT3 is a newer and improved version over HTD but lack of pulleys on the market. In my case that not a problem since I am going to machine mine but I would liek to know more from who has been used belt drives for a while.

1 Like

I feel like my wallet just twitched :rofl:

5 Likes

I have been using gt3 belts on my trampa with the same gears ever since that old thread. So far so good

1 Like

I have been desing a gear drive for a while but on bench testing did not fully satisfied me. So I am going to covert it to a belt drive. I want to achive something particular that is probably gonna be worth it only for me, as for most of my projects, but I thought way I should manufacturing something that will cost 3 times more that has the same risks and performance of a belt drive. I can make it faster, cheaper and have fun with it. So after spending many months on it I now decided to switch the project. Nice thing that I have learnt how to machine decent herringbone gears on a hobby CNC…such a pain in the ass :joy:

21 Likes

I supposed Trampa uses HTD 5M right?

Ye. The pulleys are htd5m

1 Like

does it use idler? Another option I have to decide if it worths the extra belt wearing

No but I put something similar later

so I guess you soffered of belt skipping

kind of tempted to swap one of my belts to gt3 (so one side htd5 the other gt3) and see if which one slips more…

1 Like

:clap:

Have you read this?

2 Likes

yes I posted at the beginning of the thread. GT3 is clearly the winner here but wanted to know what people are actually using. I see GT3 belts and HTD 5m pulley which is not an optimal condition. That’s why I asked.

1 Like

Almost everyone uses HTD5m

1 Like

Those are clothes line bearings. The gt3 braked better since the first minute. Those bearings reduced a lot the belt slips.

2 Likes

That is a good test. but I guess you use HTD pulleys

I see so you use them not to press the belt in the middle but to keep it close to the wheel pulley

1 Like