General Consensus on Belt Drive Setup...let's find the optimal configuration

Does someone know where to buy belts in europe or from China? Looking for GT3/GT2 or HDT 5M 12mm width and 200mm length (40t). If I go with idler then probably 225mm.
I only found https://www.zahnriemen24.de/a/40022-zahnriemen-5m-gt-gt3?breite=12&laenge=200&quantity=1 but they are really expensive and I am not sure is the final size I am going to use so I need to order more types.

But THEY are fucking fast and good quality belts like Gates and so on. Not far away from me. Just write them about your and they’ll sort you out.

2 Likes

€ 1,83 2% Off | Timing Belt Transmission Belts HTD 405-3M-12 447-3M 575-5M 225-5M 530-5M 335-5M Customize 10 12 15 18 Width Close Loop
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Up3Oa

225 5m 12.

Any other online Europe store will be more expensive.

Also shipping might still take a while now from China.

1 Like

I will use the belts from them for sure once I know which size is gonan work. I am still not sure which one is gonna be the winner. It’s a really small drive to use 200mm belts. Plus I do not understand why so many shops has gt3 belts but only htd pulley. I know gt3 belts can be used on htd pulleys but for sure is better to match GT with GT pulleys as well.

thanks a lot, that can probably work in case of idler. How much do you usually add for it? like 200mm should be without.

Yeah tough to say. When I first tried I was in the same boat and just tried different sizes.

Luckily I was looking for 15mm wide ones so availability is better and I just paid the price to order it from @EboardSolutions. Then when I knew which size was the right fit I just returned the ones that didn’t fit.
This was also easy to do without shipping them since I would see him in person every now and then at Belgium grouprides.

2 Likes

yes definitelly 15mm much easier to source, but need to save as much as possible in width. I am goign to order all the cheap 10mm belts I find and then see which one works adn order the expensive 12mm ones.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan.

I think 20/25mm length is probably a good addition for pulleys.

1 Like

thanks a lot! fist time with belts…after all the direct drives and hubs time to try.

You’re in for a good surprise.

If you can avoid it, I’d stick to 15mm width belts.
I tried 12mm belts on psychotiller six shooter setup, and even when tightened they would slip on me.
When I moved to 15mm I could run them looser and they wouldn’t slip.

I read so many different opizioni. Some says that the additional drag with 15mm is really noticeable. I am going to use them with 6354, and 85mm wheels, not a super powerful set up. I am so use to the free wheels feeling that DD gives to me that I thought 12mm would be a sweet spot.

Then the best for belts would be an aluminium wheel pulley and no idler pulley.
On my at build I recently switched to an aluminium wheel pulley and drag was noticeably less. Another benefit from this was it was quieter too.

But to match dd you’ll need to go gear drive.

1 Like

I initially went gear drive but on bench test it did not convince me. The middle gear looked to open to vibration and I would need to to use another way of lock it in place that is far more complicated and much more expensive to make. I think for this small drive the actually closed belt drive looks pretty good. Yes it’s all aluminum, I do not use plastic anywhere in the drive I make :grin:

1 Like

I weigh 98kg, I had 9-10 mm belts always slipped, then I tried them with idlers slipping improved but drag was noticeable. I then moved in to 15mm with idlers, no slippage at all but could feel drag. I removed the idlers and the 15mm belts have been perfect.

Also idlers are extra maintenance. I have found the simpler the setup the more reliable it is. If your going up a mountain off road then you may need idlers. Belts are solid, I love them. I’ve seen gear drives in n action…and yes you get that direct tourque feeling. But belts are good enough.

You need 15mm

3 Likes

FWIW: @longhairedboy uses 12mm quite a bit.

2 Likes

yeah I use both 12 and 15

for a small dual 6355 setup do you think it’s enough or better go 15mm and do not think about it anymore?

dual 12mm belts would be fine. Especially if you’re using a 16T motor pulley or bigger. I ran 12mm belts on a 16/32 on 100mm boas for a while. Decent free roll and the belts last long enough to not have to think about them much.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: then it might be a problem. I checked to have still 6 teeth in mesh but I am going with way smaller pulleys. the all drive is really really really little :blush:

Previous tests…

2 Likes

Do tell more.

2 Likes