Gearing for freerolling?

I have returned from my testing and here are my results:

Negative Ramping Time should be called peanut butter throttle.

It wasn’t too noticeable of a difference when letting go of the throttle after positive acceleration. I suspect this would help someone with bad freeroll issues though. It was very noticeable on the braking. For example, if I was coming up to a stop sign, I’d hit the brake like normal, look both ways, and then let off the brake and start throttling again. With the negative ramping time, when I let off the brake, it felt like my trigger was sticky and slowly letting off the brake. When I let off the brake, I expect as close to free roll as I can get. Instead, it felt muddy and dragging.

I wish it was split into positive signal negative ramping time and negative signal negative ramping time so I could control both but for me, the 0.1s positive and negative ramping times feel much better.

7 Likes

I am here once again to speak about freerolling and electric boards.

Recall previously I was trying to fake freeroll by setting an unreasonably high negative ramping time. Unfortunately this made the braking negative ramping time also feel horrible like I was driving in mud when letting off the brake.

I finally got a loaded unlimited race kit and was able to play around with unlimited mode. They’ve got that algorithm 95% perfect. Whether I’m pushing or using the remote to get up to a speed, when unlimited mode is on, it feels like I have push board level freeroll.

This road is mostly flat with a slight uphill at the end and I’m used to pushing 5-10 times on that stretch.

I pushed the same path with unlimited mode on and only pushed 3 times :exploding_head:

I took it up to about 25mph and let off the throttle and it took me the whole path before calmly slowing me down at the end.

So back to that 95%… The only issue I can even make a comment on is when it’s decaying the acceleration on a small to medium hill. You can feel the esc step down the accel when you get to lower speeds (10mph and under). This feels like a micro brake and gave me some butterflies the first few times I felt it. Definitely small enough that I can mentally get used to it but a small spot for improvement.

9 Likes

+1 for direct drive, if your goal is free rolling. My girlfriend has a revel kit with TB110’s. It’s silent and the free roll is heavenly.

For free roll on a geared/pulley setup - move to gear drives. The improved free roll is immediately noticeable.

2 Likes

Make that straight cut low ratio with small motors.

My shortie build is close to hub/dd free roll

1 Like

Is there a thread for that board, or maybe a photo of the drivetrain?

1 Like

I have BN 3.8 ratio straight cuts coming in the mail right now :hugs:

1 Like

Trigger warning, its not a shortie by your standards

3 Likes