Gear drive with a 1:6 ratio?

Does anyone make a helical or herringbone gearset in a 1:6 (or higher) ratio? I’m looking at eventually running 10" tires on 6" rims (way cheaper than 10x4 options with far better tire options due to being a more common scooter wheel size). To run at the ~60 KPH top speed I prefer, and keep motors at the correct (8000-ish) RPM they are most efficient at, I need a much deeper ratio than what I’ve seen on the market so far. Moon has a 1:5.5 ratio option however it only takes 8mm motor shafts, and all the motors I’ve ever run were 10mm. Any options out there?

1 Like

Moon drives are supposed to have a 6.1 very soon I think

@Evwan

6.42:1 actually, but i havent gotten mine working yet due to factory defects…

1 Like

Do you know what the tooth counts are on that?

nope

Sed. Would have been cool to know

My random guess is 19 & 122

Your guess is wrong
90/14

4 Likes

14 teeth on 8mm shaft huh

thats tight

I think it depends on the modulus

1 Like

very

I assume it’s a different modulus than the existing offerings? How much effort and cost would be involved in retooling for a larger pinion shaft size at such a ratio?

An even larger hole? That would be tough I imagine

what mod is the gearset?

Idk you’d have to ask moon

if i remember correctly it’s mod 1.25.

you can’t there is absolutely no room for 10mm
etoxx has gear drives that are 1:6

1 Like

grafik

2 Likes

No, you definitely CAN, it just requires going to a larger wheel gear diameter which means a larger housing as well. All of this increases cost of stock material from which you machine your parts, and a lot of R&D time iterating on design when scaling up. I was asking what it would cost to do all of that.

1 Like

Main reason for looking at deeper gear ratios is I love the feel of a gear drive, but to get highest efficiency I need to run motors at their max speed the ESC can drive at. Meaning as close to ~150k ERPM a possible. In addition, running larger diameter motors yields higher torque output which honestly, I don’t really need extra power, but it means the motors can be driven at lower-than-max power levels on average. Lastly, I’d like to run 10" tires. Lower rolling resistance, better pothole handling as well as offroad capability, and way wider tire selection options with cheaper rims. So run a high torque motor as fast as it will spin, gear that down hard, and run big wheels. This yields a lot of strain on the gear system, but if it’s within the design spec, I’d like to try it.

If a motor spins too fast it will not run efficient due to eddy currents in the stator core (core losses).
Finding a sweat spot in between torque output and ERPM is the goal.

1 Like