Gauging interest in Precision DKP trucks

Anyone adapt BN M1 AT to surf-rodz?

At one point I wanted to make triple kingpin trucks but I decided to live instead.

2 Likes

Science requires sacrifice

@Razillian please, for the love of Skatan, post videos of you skating 3KP, 4KP, etc :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I have 30 of them, but sadly don’t have enough pivot cups or bushings to test :rofl:

1 Like

Full dkp will be $342/pair (no axles, no bushings). I’ll put up individual part prices with the sales thread.

I have no real plans to become a vendor so wasn’t planning on offering up any other hanger lengths. But they should fit the Savage tkp hangers

2 Likes

Sorry guys, I have never kept up with Surf Rodz stuff. Who makes motor mount plates for these trucks?

@IDEA

3 Likes

Just got done swapping out the trucks on the Evil Demonseed which used the SR motor mounts from @IDEA. I had to run a file across the insides of the mounts til bare aluminum was showing and sharpen out the corners.

SR hangers have all the edges camfered so the mounts have rounded cornering to match. My hangers aren’t camfered so that rounding had to be “sharpened” to match. I’ll upload some pics when I get a minute.

Clamp on mounts seem to fit on without any tampering. Whooshboards and a few others used to make some. I’m using custom clamps on another build as well.

Fingers crossed for good weather this weekend to take out the demonseed for some testing.

2 Likes

Original

Filed

2 Likes

How difficult/expensive would it be to have the edges chamfered on the hangers? It would be nice to have hangers fit with no modification.

I can modify the mounting rings to fit your hangers, it’s not a problem.

5 Likes

Ooooofff, right in the feels. They look awesome dude!

4 Likes

Awesome! I’ll dm you a mechanical drawing with dimensions when I get a minute.

1 Like

Used the truck swap as an excuse to throw on the BKB 6" tires. We’ll see how they handle massive carving on flipsky rims.

5 Likes

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. I love mine for tighter turns.

2 Likes

One thing that can sometimes happen with DKPs is they can get a bit squirrely with typical pneumatic tires. The larger contact patch and more predictable grip of the BKB tires really compliments DKPs well. This is currently my favorite 6" tire. The only wait to improve on it is to get rid of the tread and make the rubber slightly softer.

2 Likes

Had time and weather nice enough to take the demonseed out to test out the trucks. Forewarning, the first part of this belongs in the bitching thread :grin:

Got armored up a bit more than I normally would for my chosen route, but new parts and all that. Luckily it has been cool enough out that the extras wouldn’t be a problem, especially while moving. Fired up the metr app on my watch and phone, grabbed the board, walked outside and hit the power button. Turned on the remote as I hit the first platform of the stairs, pulled the trigger, and nothing. Fuck!

Back inside, connect to vesc over tcpip, all settings on my Stormcore are mia. Fuck! Went through setup again, still wearing all that hot as fuck armor, configured everything, tested remote, all aok. Grabbed board, ran outside, and restarted the process. My metr app on my watch had timed out and blank screened. Tried starting everything over, but could not get the watch to connect to metr app so no checking my speed while riding.

The plan was to hit a trail for about 10 miles out, staying around 15-20mph, and just get a feel for the responsiveness of the trucks and bkb tires with some low speed carving. Then, if things felt good, open it up on the ride back to see how comfy things were at speed. Without the watch app speeds would be best feel guesses. No biggy.

Ok, so first up the bkb tires are a bit less carvy than I’m used to. I always like that continued momentum as you reverse a turn before the wheels grab. These tires don’t really have that, which is good for predictability, bad if you like that skiing carve feel where there is that 1/2 second that you aren’t sure your turn is going to take. Yea, I love that feeling.

Trucks felt good across the crappy streets, wood slat bridges, and smooth pavements. I am thinking I’ll be dropping the bushing duro down a notch to make things a bit looser, but it will be a little more riding before I decide for certain, because about 1.5 miles in the right motor mount came loose.

Stopped, tightened it down and started to head back at a slower (this really sucks) speed. About 1/2 way back I had to stop and tighten the mount down again. Eventually made it home, only got in 3.5miles with a top speed of 18mph. Aside from the mount, the ride felt great. At no point did I feel uncomfortable and it took a shit ton of will power not to open it up on the ride out.

Not sure what’s up with that mount, but I’ll clean the grub screws, realign and red loctite it again. Hopefully give it another go this weekend.

4 Likes

I think it’s that stiff sidewall on the BKBs I think I know what you mean. You think you’d open it up more quickly if you go back to a tire setup you’re more comfortable with?

1 Like

Ultimately I’ll probably go back to the sunmates because of carving, but I think I will feel more comfortable at speed on the bkbs. So I’ll leave them on until I see what speeds I can hit once I know that motor mount isn’t going to send me flying

3 Likes