FW 5.3 is out! Vesc Tool 3.01

I updated to the new VESC Tool (Win10) yesterday and while it looks a bit more fancy I noticed an extreme performance and stability drop. It was never the most responsive software but even on my decent gaming pc it takes forever to load. You can’t klick to fast otherwise it starts to not respond or even crash.

Do you need to give it special permissions to work better or is this the new norm now?

2 Likes

When I start the newest version I always think it crashed, takes some 30+ seconds before the main window appears…

2 Likes

The reason is that official VESC Tool is compiled with GCC compiler which is not optimized for Windows. This is also why bluetooth does not work. You can try this version that I built with Microsoft compiler https://github.com/rpasichnyk/vesc_tool/releases/tag/v3.0.1, it starts much faster (6s vs 25s)

24 Likes

You always find a way to impress me lol

6 Likes

@Trampa what does this rt data refer to?^

Works on M1 through rosetta. I did compile an arm based version but didn’t really see much difference overall and distributing two dmgs just seemed extra work.

2 Likes

Yes I have a MSVC static build together that I will get into distribution I think. It does run a bit nicer.

2 Likes

Is the laggy performance when RT data is enabled or just overall?

3 Likes

I’m running @rpasichnyk MS build and it’s much smoother and has less hiccups than the stock release. it’s so much better. connecting a VESC and detecting FW also doesn’t make my gaming PC freeze up which is nice.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I experienced a milder difference so didn’t have it as a high priority but maybe it is just something hardware specific. I already did most of the heavy lifting on building Qt static etc so I will see if I can get this into the pipeline.

I do worry that the minggw build might still have wider compatibility across older windows versions and distributing a bunch of alternatives can be confusing to the user. I guess labelling it as windows 10 or something might make it the most obvious. Anyone running windows 8 can confirm that roman’s version doesn’t work?

7 Likes

I have spent the last 4 hours playing around and killing unities.

What am I doing wrong

Edit. Windows was too blame

Mac os. Vesc tool fixed swd flash

3 Likes

Why are you using the next beta firmware (6.0) in the first place lol
Hopefully those ESCs can still be revived by flashing firmware using the SWD method

2 Likes

Why? Cause. I like trying new things and destruction.

6 Likes

I was so confused. I thought he is flashing firmware for HW 6 escs thus fucking it up. But FW6?? So the beta 5.3 just released and BV already made the next one aka 6 available?

1 Like

Yes, although there are no feature changes so far it appears.
Strange that we’re jumping to version 6 now, when 5.3 from the looks of it has some bugs that will need to get ironed out, and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

@Evwan have you continued your investigation?

3 Likes

his title checks out tho :joy:

6 Likes

I was so confused. I thought he is flashing firmware for HW 6 escs thus fucking it up. But FW6?? So the beta 5.3 just released and BV already made the next one aka 6 available?

https://vesc-project.com/node/3385

4 Likes

Has anyone tried the 5.3 on a xenith/unity? Has anything happened?

1 Like

Yeah - I’m currently running 5.3 on my unity.
All seems fine so far :man_shrugging:

NOTE:
I had the worst time upgrading over bluetooth though - kept getting stuck after uploading the bootloader.
Then I made the mistake of trying to downgrade to unity FW and everything stopped working over bluetooth.
Had to upgrade over USB-C.

tl;dr:
Maybe upgrade over USB-C.

4 Likes

Alright, thanks. :smiley: will do.