FW 5.3 is out! Vesc Tool 3.01

I saw a lot of releases are available for Mac now. Is there any iphone love yet?

1 Like

The iPhone app isn’t published yet, and the Mac download on vesc-project.com seems to be broken. I get a message that the URL is not a valid download link.

1 Like

Well of course they’re not actually usable. Now that I’ve completely switched to mac. wtf.

has anyone successfully used a chromebook with vesctool?

1 Like

Yep. @tech.shit

@rpasichnyk has some Mac vesc tool versions he’s compiled himself on GitHub.

3 Likes

Where is the LHB we know and love.

7 Likes

i have never shown ANY DEVOTION WHATSOEVER to any particular system. I’ve been simultaneously using MacOS, Windows, and Linux for going on a decade now, and before that, all windows and linux with windows mostly just giving me a putty window for linux and being useful as a multimedia creation studio / DAW. Linux sucks in that department, Windows is OK, Mac excels. But recently my apps have been crashing on Windows due to the PCs age.

I bought a macbook because my ancient, ROG core i5 samsung EVO SSD based maxxed out windows desktop that i built myself 10 years ago was finally starting to annoy me, and it was either spend $2k upgrading it and still be stuck with a desktop, or just buy the most powerful laptop i could afford that’s based on a unix operating system that i know works with literally everything i need it to with less arguing while still putting more sky miles on my girl’s card.

if anything i’m more loyal to the unix legacy than anything else. Vesctool is the reason i didn’t do it sooner than now. I had a 2012 imac i got second hand in my garage in dual boot with windows (for vesc tool) but i accidentally the MacOS partition.

4 Likes

I’ve used a Chromebook to run VESCTool using crostini but I wouldn’t use the word “successfully”

I’ve got it to run and with the right initial conditions I can connect over TCP and read/write settings and RT data.

That’s the extent of what I’ve been able to run in CrOS though, USB doesn’t work and I can’t get Bluetooth to work as I’m just using a metr. It also takes forever to start up unless you run the linux-in-chrome terminal beforehand, and installation is a pain.

2 Likes

I did as I now get dual motor telemetry using the Freesk8 app.

Just want to see if I can get some common issues with 5.3?

I’m on a 60d+ with tb6380 170kv motors.

I’m running 10 less amps then I would normally and duty cycle limit of 80 and it’s been fairly ok on my short route (4-5 mile loop uphill and down)

Before I settled on this setting I did do my normal at 80/80 and 85 duty cycle limit and had a weird issue of my esc on one side just stopped functioning till I restarted it. This was on a bench doing full throttle forward then reverse with smart reverse.

4 Likes

Yeah I had this on the bench when setting up 5.3 FW too.

2 issues I was able to replicate:

1. holding a constant speed would cause motors to knock every few seconds like they were out of sync
  1. holding down brake would cause my motors to stutter and sometimes start slowly reversing (brake only mode, no reverse)

And then one time it locked a motor like you described. I rewrote firmware and tried to start over instead of power cycling but it fixed it as well.

6 Likes

Exact same scenario for me on 5.3, on bench it would max out then both motors just stopped from over current faults.

4 Likes

I am having some other issue. When doing motor detection I am getting non-sensor with temp results, but when I go to option all hall-sensors are definied. Vesc6mkv

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue on the MakerX DV6 with hall sensors not registering during motor detection but able to be sensed manually

Good to know im not the only one, but still, shoulnd have happend

1 Like

Just curious if you tried the old wizard or doing it manually per side.

Maybe the wizard is just broken and not the individual setup.

Only the wizard. Too lazy to open it up and plug in (unless you can manually do it per side from the app?)

1 Like

i think you can manually do it per side in the freesk8 app if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

You can do it manually from the app or do tcp/ip link

1 Like

Interesting, it still reads my hall values and they’re not odd or mismatched but I still have a bit of a stutter going forward to reverse. Maybe time to rerun detection.

Definitely better than setting it to fully sensorless though.

1 Like

why not ACKMANIAC? only because it’s old!? :hugs:

1 Like