FW 5.3 is out! Vesc Tool 3.01

One thing that will not work is Logging BTW. The new Android API does not allow to write into the file system easily. It still works if you install from the APK file that can be downloaded via VESC-project.com.
The Play Store version needs to stick to the new rules )-:
Logging will be done via a cloud in near future. This is the next thing to come.

2 Likes

@rpasichnyk thank you!
OSX version :

7 Likes

Welp, time to translate the app from scratch again. Really hope vedder can wrap all the words in tr()…

Also my Davega OS doesn’t work, gotta work on that as well.

Love the new UI great work!

5 Likes

Also he has build for windows which has working BT connection

2 Likes

Yes, here are builds for macOS and Windows: Release v3.0.1 FW5.3 · rpasichnyk/vesc_tool · GitHub Both can be used with bluetooth (for M1 macs bluetooth does not work unfortunately, I don’t know the reason, must be something in Qt internals).

7 Likes

Why can’t you write to storage like any other app?

1 Like

I have also been able to reliably reproduce this fault on the newer 5.3 betas, even with some very conservative ESC settings on the 100d.

Also seen this fault and reported it. It’s odd because that half still responds and does not show any faults, but still does not work.

5 Likes

I reverted back to 5.2 and all issues disappeared. I played with about setting tweaking it with no luck on 5.3.

It never showed faults on mine either when one of the two motors just completely stopped.

3 Likes

Jeez, all of this beta testing and we still have stuff like this. Needs more beta testing. I’ll be running 5.3 for my commutes because I don’t value my safety

6 Likes

This still isn’t fixed in VESC Tool; you’re probably thinking of variESC 5.2

nevermind

It is! When you do motor setup wizzard and pick esk8, it gets set to 85% now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep. Braking on 5.3 was weird for me too. Full brakes on the bench would make my motors twitch.

4 Likes

The vesc tool does not beta test in the way that most projects beta test.

for most open projects lots of development happens,
at some point major changes are locked and only bug fixes are submitted thereafter,
these betas are tested for a while,
then general release.

vesc fwhas had fairly major changes made to the motor driving, parameter detection and throttle control in the last month. these changes have not been locked and tested as you would expect for more than a couple weeks in the middle of winter.

9 Likes

Seems crazy to me they wouldn’t make sure it’s legit before unrolling an update, but I don’t know anything about what goes into that stuff so that just my ignorant comment.

1 Like

this same conversation happens every time they release an update and its clear they just dont care

9 Likes

i believe it’s not the normal storage Frank is talking about. It’s more about the Android - “Data” folder.

for example since i’ve updated to Android 11 my go-to zip tool Zarchiver and many others can’t access this exact folder anymore if i go there via my browser (to upload a metr log for example), even though my phone is rooted and it supports root. If i go with just Zarchiver it works. It’s a royal pain in the ass now.

I never update to the latest version of VESC tool for this reason.

Once it’s widely known (tested) by the community and there are no issues I’ll jump on board.

10 Likes

Making this widely known could reduce the pool of beta testers.

2 Likes

Are you saying warning users will dissuade people to update and decrease the number of people trying out the new firmware and thus testing it, or are you saying making the firmware release well known will reduce the number of people testing it because they die from new firmware bugs? :eyes:

5 Likes

They should really be voluntary beta testers that know theyre jumping ship into uncharted waters, not unsuspecting weekend warriors.

2 Likes