FW 5.3 is out! Vesc Tool 3.01

Noticing the same exact thing. Though I think this is normal as I’ve seen it on 5.2.

seems VESCTool isn’t reading my settings accurately in limited mode (FW5.2)

where did that legacy version support go?

Not for me. Went away immediately when I reverted.

Strange. I’ve noticed stuff like this on 5.2. Didn’t persist when I was actually riding at the duty cycle limit.

1 Like

I’m starting to stress myself out. Maybe I’ll revert :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Reverted to 5.2? How do you go back? Sounds like I am having the same issue you were, actually made one of my motors completely not work. Turned the deck off and back on an both motors work but keeps doing it

I’m running the new firmware on an ebike hub motor. Weather isn’t good but so far just on bench testing with the field weakening add on. I gained an extra 5 mph using 20a on field weakening. Don’t know if I would recommend for guys on esk8 because I have triggered overphase current with previous controllers setting it to high. But a quick reset fixes that with previous controllers. I won’t get thrown off on the bike. Esk8 is different story. Waiting for weather to clear. Then I’ll do some road testing with a stock super 73 hub motor. Runs well off of the flipsky 75100.

2 Likes

That’s tough when only one side communicates

1 Like

As someone still running fine on 5.1, is there any practical reason to update?

Any vehicle should be able to do this without breaking. If not then it’s broken IMHO

2 Likes

I think I saw better low speed braking mentioned somewhere but there is nothing regarding brakes in the changelog, did anyone notice/remember what was changed?

1 Like

Been running beta versions for months (updating regularly, actually running the last beta ATM), having a great experience on:

• OG foxboxes
  • CheapFOCer 2
  • MakerX DV6

The focers behave so much better on 5.3, basically solving most of the lockups and DRV reset issues I had on 5.2…might be due to the improved measuring algorithm?

The DV6 had a weird issue with low speed brakes stuttering (not dangerous, only at really low speeds), but as of the last beta it was completely solved.

The foxboxes keep working flawlessly, basically the same as in previous versions.

Also tested VSS and got mixed results, but 90% of the time it was better than sensorless, with the rest being equal. Overall very happy with the performance, but the biggest improvement is the mobile UI, it’s pretty great now.

5 Likes

Does smart reverse work for you with VSS/HFI?

Haven’t tried it, sorry…always using Current No Reverse With Brake

Nice seeing FW5.3 released. Adding support in Metr right now :slight_smile:

19 Likes

How did you get 5.3 on the DV6? You seem to be the first and only one to achieve this.

I used the beta app, just like with all the other ESCs…actually got it working on some MakerX Mini-FOC (normal and plus) too.

What I do remember is that none of the MakerX ESCs came with a bootloader, and if you don’t flash it the FW won’t stick. Both get detected as normal VESC6, so even if the app doesn’t suggest a version, I believe it is safe to flash the regular version (60, I believe it is called in the app).

1 Like

When I connect my DV6 and try to upload FW I don’t get any options at all, even showing non-default. Is there a file you have that I can use to manually update?

You have to find the 5.2 FW file on the vesc github and download it first.

On the vesc tool FW upload screen:

Swipe down to the second page and you can choose a file to upload. Pick the 5.2 file you hopefully found and it will revert back. Don’t be surprised if vesc tool yells at you about old firmware after.

1 Like

That will only work with HW that has adjustable filtering. Non of your HW supports it.

1 Like