FW 5.3 is out! Vesc Tool 3.01

Do you have logs? I wanna see the setup you ran this on

2 Likes

No logs but ill make one of my commute tomorrow. It let me set it to 180a im sure im nowhere near reaching it tho.

1 Like

absolute maximum current is supposed to be that high, but you are 100% not hitting that because your max motor amps is what is actually limiting you. Absolute maximum is like a protection limit that will stop supplying power and fault if you pass it.

Lol okay I see. Ya if you don’t know if you’re hitting it, you’re nowhere near

1 Like

Generally you can/should keep Absolute Maximum Current set to the highest it will allow you to set it at, per the hardware you have loaded.

2 Likes

Was just trying this for my Maker DV6 Pro and the 5.2 version says there is no firmware for my VESC and I need to upload a custom file. Once I auto connect, all of the file choices listed under the “Included Files” disappear and the only bootloader option is “generic”… also asking @ShutterShock if he’s had an luck with his DV6 Pro. the DV6 Pro does say it has 5.3 installed, but after following the setup and such in 5.3 when I move my Hoyt St puck forward nothing happens other than some electrical noise, and reverse is crazy fast and would probably throw me from the board… Not sure what to do or try next… Thanks.

1 Like

The DV6 PRO needs a custom firmware regardless of the version used, that’s why the list disappears when you connect to it. The firmware isn’t in the official tool yet.

If you are having problems with 5.3 on the DV6 PRO, try disabling phase filters under Motor Settings → FOC → Filters → Enable Phase Filters = False. Re run motor and input wizards and see if it fixes the issue.

There are binaries for 5.3 but not for 5.2 that I can find. If you want I can compile a 5.2 based on the source code MakerX released later tonight… but try disabling phase filters and see if that works.

I’ve been running 5.3 on some Trampa VESC 6s and the Flipsky 75100 and overall I like it. It has a smoother transition to max duty cycle under load, and has some updated motor detection parameters that seem to drive the motor a little better when it gets really hot. Field Weakening for the ebikes is a great way to increase top speed, and while not recommended, I’ve been running it on the esk8s too.

5 Likes

I haven’t attempted to change the firmware on mine, usually if an ESC works with the preinstalled firmware I don’t really change it unless I’m doing a re-flash anyways.

2 Likes

I always reflash to ensure I have a clean slate to start from, to make sure I don’t forget a setting.

2 Likes

I re-ran the 5.3 set up but this time checked the “advanced” box and set the Battery Current Max to 50A and Battery Current Max Regen to -12. I got much better resulting numbers after that. And I think my Hoyt Puck was set up for left handed so I reversed that which helped!

My son should test drive it this afternoon but I think the settings look pretty good at this point. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Update: test ride went great. Much smoother acceleration and braking with the Hoyt St Puck. Love having three modes which are easy to switch between - beginner mode makes it comfortable for my 12 yr old daughter to ride. Mode 3 gives my son plenty of speed and power. Now that the flipsky ESC and remote are out, hopefully no more signal drops and loss of control :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…the probability of having software problems is maximized.

FTFY :rofl:

Seriously, I have old skates running old firmware and the only thing that updating them will do is increase the chances of having problems.

If I was adding some new feature that needed it, that would be a whole 'nother story entirely.

1 Like

I’m using v3.01 and cannot connect to a Stormcore 60D,

The firmware on the connected VESC is too old. Please update it using a programmer.

I’ve searched it seems like everywhere for an answer but obviously I haven’t found it yet. There’s nothing on the Lacroix thread or website detailing anything about initial setup.

Not anymore

Update: I’ve tried every vesc tool version from 3.01 to 2.05 with no luck, each time it says firmware is too old…

From my limited knowledge, you should be able to continue on from this pop up and either configure and/or update the esc.
3.01 is supposed to be backwards compatible back til FW3.55 or so.

1 Like

That’s what I gathered from reading, so I logically go to update the firmware and it says no vesc connected.

After trying every version again I finally just resorted to using my phone. The default app download on vesc-project worked straight away with no hiccups. It alerted that the firmware is old but the entire setup over mobile worked fine. No idea if I’m doing something wrong using the windows versions, maybe this is a common problem with the 2020 60d’s…

1 Like

Try reflashing the bootloader

2 Likes

Do you have a link? I don’t see the add on github

1 Like

How much Field Weakening current max did you set ?