FULL SUSPENSION BOARDS

What killed it for me was that 35e battery cell, and the fact it’s using lingyi esc.

2 Likes

This thread is not to discuss the shit electronics of whateverboard, mechanics of suspension skateboard only.

@Kai this what you wanted right?

this link got missed

2 Likes

Capture
whoever designed that can get fired

2 Likes

Sorry, couldn’t help it. It’s an interesting board ngl. But dang, wasted opportunities.

2 Likes

It needs its own thread it does not have one so people just keep talking about it here. I was about to make one for ya.

Ecomobl boards general

Done^^^ go wild

should we make one to talk about mainly Bajaboard also? seems like baja/propel/cycle are the major players.

I wanna ride one of these just to see what the suspension feels like

I think this has one already right?

1 Like

I sure like the look of it. Want i want is all the trucks. All of them. And all the bushings. So I can try every possible combination. Current build is going tbdd in the back… highly debating but leaning 3 link in the front. Airs are a close runner up.

My actual aim outside experimentation though is the floatiest possible front end with super stable back end. Back can drift a tiny bit to accommodate. Maybe super tight airs, in theory. I like their 3 dimensional movement plane thing. Front end I want the floatiness I imagine airs have with the somewhat hydraulic snap I imagine 3 links have. It’s complicated. Im also interested in the possibilities of motor assisted turns… your system looks really fun to play with hence my interest in it.

2 Likes

posting here for discussion of the drivetrain mechanics only.
general Bajaboard thread below.

The reason each board gets it’s own thread is so no single board can dominate this thread very much, only the suspension drivetrain aspect we will focus on.

I hope to inspire others and myself in their aim to make a board like this yourself.

1 Like

I strive to have a G4X one day… the guys at AVS let me try one and it was a blast, the S2? Not so much

1 Like

was it an atrax s2? I hope not because the new s2 seems like an improvement over the g4x for ride comfort.

I think it was a reg S2. It wasn’t ride comfort it was how it is riding. The S2 feels underpowered for its size and just all around didn’t feel as refined. The G4x matches performance for size and feels really nice underfoot

1 Like

I have never seen one with dual VESC 6 and that makes me sad. dangit I thought this was the bajaboards thread you tricked me!!

Honestly I really want to see it VESC swapped then set to max amps so I can see what part of the drive system breaks first. With only 8 or 9 in tires the load is reduced slightly. Not sure I ever saw one with 6in tires…

1 Like

I think the main issue is:
The worst weight is unsprung weight.
With esk8s we use hub motors or attach the motors directly via a drive, meaning the unsprung weight is going to be quite high.

That is while I at first thought that baja boards are stupid not to use hub motors, I now realize that their setup is actually REALLY smart.

3 Likes

If only it were more mechanically simple

2 Likes

Yeah all the small parts work together to create the maintenance nightmare that is Baja’s (from what I’ve heard)

I guess if you overdesign enough none of them should break, but there will always be that one person that figures out how to break it

1 Like

3 wheelers allowed, 2 wheelers with no steering

5 Likes

One of the people near my parents house owns one of these things, I thought it looked really cool

It was wider though

2 Likes

NOW ITS GETTING ITS OWN THREAD

1 Like
1 Like

For the discussion of the mechanics we have this special thread here! or sharing CAD drawings too :wink:

My question is only about what I cannot see inside the center of the truck there, how the shocks are mounted. I feel like they could also give steering resistance if they would be bolted to the base part or separate steering springs/bushings could be used and the shocks are connected to the main kingpin and are unaffected in steering.
Oh if the shocks are attached to the base then moving them closer and farther away from the kingpin would give you higher ride height and stiffness, I am sure it is fine stock but custom making a more adjustable base would sure be fun!

From my very limited understanding of ideal wheel traction for handling in corners having weight shift to your inner wheel to remain more balanced when experiencing G-forces in the turn keeping all wheels with good contact and force driven forwards, So having the suspension stiffness linked to the steering does sound ideal.

1 Like