FSESC Failure, Motors smoke

I have to figure out stuff with Flipsky. How much would be those?

Depends, but probably $220 plus international shipping from the states and any associated import/export fees

Might make a mountain board from them using the cheap chinese channel trucks, still haven’ decided

:arrow_up: this

Some of them aren’t too bad. If you use a VESC 4.12 like the @torqueboards ones, they work fine for 10S on unsensored BLDC limited to 25A battery max. For higher performance, the market right now has a big hole with the discontinuance of the OG FOCBOX and the ESCape. There are several in development though, so this hole should be temporary.

Maybe try two Mini FSESC4.20 if you want to stick with Flipsky.

I would highly recommend two single motor controllers over a dual motor controller. If you’d done that first, you’d probably have a working skate right now. Avoid dual controllers.

1 Like

Easiest way to get a pair of FSESC minis is probably dickyho right? $62 each plus shipping

:smiley:

I have had two FSESC’s one of which is a parts board that I robbed the DRV’s off of after screwing up the Resistors, and the other a FSESC 4.20 (dual) Plus that is currently running my ‘test’ board.

I wont ever do dual controllers again - the savings is really not that impressive, and the level of redundancy that you get from having two independent controllers is nice to have.

IMO, the only good “dual” controller configuration is just a CAN over PCB connection - with a hardware bypass to pin and a way (clear outline) to cut the pcb if needed. Maybe something ill bring up to Shaman for the SeriousFOCer.

If I could consistently assemble and provide cheapFOCers for just myself let alone the 4 people (3 local friends +1.news) I have waiting on them I’d consider taking assembly orders since the cheapFOCer has been noted as fairly robust from the beta testers. But who has the time for that?

3 Likes

I should be testing a CheapFOCer very soon myself :slight_smile: All of @shaman’s work looks really nice so far.

2 Likes

Now that its getting cold out up here, I’ll probably dust off the workbench and start cranking out the PCBs, but chances are I wont really have a good test scenario until the snow is gone - I haven’t even considered water/splash proofing my board yet.

1 Like

Started getting cold and wet here too recently :expressionless:

Almost time for the winter brine esk8 attack. Always esk8 casualties in the winter.

Repair bench is ready and operational… parts in stock… let’s go :smiley:

1 Like

Fuck i will never complain about sand in my bearings again…

1 Like

Do they use that liquid calcium chloride shit as well down in the states?

After like 3 years of pushback and an increase in accidents our city council finally agreed to stop using it on roads but they still use it on all of the sidewalks/bike paths.

That shit will start rusting a set of bearings after like 2 days.

Im up in beet country - Here in North Dakota we use a beet juice and salt slurry. (Source 1, Source 2)

Yeah, it eats esk8 for breakfast. They spray brine, either sodium chloride or calcium chloride, and also spread rock salt. Depends which road and what the weather forecast is, and what part of the city it is. Some parts of the city have no snow removal or mitigation, ever. The sidewalks are usually a mix of rock salt and no treatment at all.

Bumping so maybe I get more info.

The flipsky ESC poll says otherwise. Only a small percentage sees the failure. Value is in the statistics not in the vocal minority.

2 Likes

I think he was referrring to the MakerX ESCs

I’d check the motors if I were you @IVoxuI, @Trampa missing a chance to blame another companys VESC derivative and not advertising the Trampa VESC has to mean something :wink: In that case all others blaming Flipsky have less weight imho :smiley: As @mishrasubhransu states: Its not the majority having issues :wink: You definitely want to avoid getting another VESC derivative/original and then its the motors that shorted out. Way more costly then…

Will check the motors for sure today after I come back from school. Those motors were brand new and 2 days ago they ran like a charm… yesterday one side of the VESC had some issues because one side didn’t move. Then I uploaded newest VESC tool firmware, detection and all and then the ESC started having serious problems… it’s a shame because it’s a second set of motors and a second ESC I got on the same DIY. I’m way outta budget and the only way I can get new parts is to wait for some odd summer jobs and grass to cut. As always flipsky isn’t helpful at all. Trying to get some info out of them. Maybe at least it will be covered by warranty because it’s now 3 days old! I have no hopes at this point lol. Also today I’ll be trying to see if the ESC is functional. Hooking up resistors and 12v or 24v light bulbs to overcome motors if they were the issue(doubt it tho)

I’m a motor tester at this point. I ran 2x 6374 170kv Maytechs and then 2x 6374 190kv haggy boards motors. Now I’ll be looking at the cheapest Ebay motors I can find unfortunately…

I poke fun in flipshite there poduct isnt perfect. But value and day to day they are pretty reliable over last few years. I have blown up 4 of their antispark switches. But I am a heavy-duty user 2 of them died running 13s pack. My main board has had a 6.6 plus for nearly a year been through hell.
I have desoldered a shunt on it. But easy to fix as was the switch bypass. The 200 amp rating is total BS.