Frankendick - The Second Cumming - Complete!

Haha yeah but i kinda need a charge port and if i can find room for that, I can find room for a button. I’ll figure it out… somehow.

3 Likes

Got some more layers on last night.

If we refer back to the sketch, this will be the end of layer 1.

I ttried to wrap the fabric over the rails. It worked well in some spots, but not in others. Such is life.

10 Likes

Oof, I know the struggle.
Leaving a big border of peel ply can help with that, so you have extra material to stick down on the other side of the curve.

3 Likes

Sanded down the rough edges from last night’s layup and was pretty surprised how well I actually ended up getting the layers to roll over. They didn’t do so well at the ends of the deck but the rails are pretty sweet down the length.

I’m not gonna use a vacuum bag for this next step because I can’t be fucked setting up the vacuum pump and making a bag and stuff. I just used a storage bag last night, but it’s not gonna conform to the insides of the compartment well enough for my liking.

I’ve applied a reasonably thick tack base, will wait til it starts to tack but is still quite soft and then press in the top layer of glass. Will let that cure before wetting out that layer.

The layup is already quite strong, I was quite surprised. Starting to get super keen!

11 Likes

The tack approach went really well!!! I tacked down the 750gsm triax AND managed to get it wrapped all the way around. Once it was tacked, I let the tack layer cure for another couple of hours and then applied more resin.

While that resin was still wet, I laid a piece of 200gsm cloth in the battery compartment and up the walls, and another on the top surface of the deck and wrapped down the walls of the compartment.

I didn’t apply any fresh resin to the cloth on top, just stabbed it heaps with the brush to bring up the resin from the triax below. This helps to give me a textured surface for a finish layer of resin.

And the battery still fits! Was a little worried it was gonna get too tight.

The final boss is the ‘body kit’ layer on the bottom. This is probs gonna be a little tricky. See how it go…

7 Likes

Well… everything has gone pretty well so far…

But I have doubts right now :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Sir I’m afraid your board has rabies and must be put down

11 Likes

Quick update… Frankendick survived the rabies

4 Likes

Nice, some thickened epoxy should take care of the voids. If you let it firm up first, there will be less chance of imprinting them on the fabric

3 Likes

Exactly what I did. I didn’t fill the voids completely, but my tack layer worked pretty well… was kinda ugly tho

6 Likes

Tonight went pretty damn well. Definitely looking better than last night.

12 Likes

Right! This week was a good week for young Frankendick!

During the week I trimmed the lid to shape and laid a skin onto it for shits and giggles. No frit cos that shit is fuckin useless, just a nice pretty graphic. Will figure out some sort of neat grip tape pattern later.

I got my little panel mount sorted, just gotta run the phase/sensor extensions through before I can permanently attach. I think i might revise it to suit countersunk bolts so I don’t need to get new bolts tho.

This is the first time i’ve been able to stand on it since the beginning! Milestone moment! It feels super stiff, which is great and an ode to the board that started this saga, Nimblestiff.

It’s got a great side profile and could run smaller wheels without issue. Kinda wish I never got rid of my 32T pulleys, otherwise i’d be running akashas no doubt. @rafaelinmissouri what pulleys are you using with your akashas?

Started to do inserts for the lid but ran out of steam for today. Gonna have dinner and then design some cable management for this puppy, as well as some risers so I can print some 3mm tpu risers for some dampening on this puppy.

So hyped, she’s nearly ready!

10 Likes

Lol.
BN 36.
And it’s fiiiiiiiine…

I have better pictures somewhere…

Anyways it hasnkilled me yet, but you can tell how sketchy it is.

But nothing matters when you are rolling on the Akashas…

Also nice power button spot…

10 Likes

Raf…

You’re a fuckin savage :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Once I get the Omakase back running I will have 3 sets of Akashas with the BN 36…
2 of the regular and one of the narrower FR that you can’t get anymore.

I don’t think I even have any options.

Does anyone make 32 teeth Pulleys these days?
I doubt the evolve ones would work with the wheel offset like the BN does.

Anyways.
It is less than ideal.
But for me it has been ok, to the point I got another set.

I swear every time I go out on the Akashas I am amazed.

Just so good.

5 Likes

Looks like onsra and omni both do.

The omni one says it takes a 6900 carrier bearing, so should accept a 22x8 if you’re running 8mm axels. Unsure on what size the onsra takes.

4 Likes

Maybe @Savage1 might do a run of 32t pulleys? :pleading_face:

7 Likes

I worry that these may be too short for the DH Akashas.

I should probably get a set for my FR ones…

I ordered a set of the onsra ones…

3 Likes

Made some movement today. Got the rear panel fixed on, but I broke off one of the nut housings inside, so that is a permanent fixture now :rofl: i can’t see any reason why I would need to take it off anyway.

Got the inserts done

Radium power button works nicely :partying_face:

I noticed a red flashing light on the xenith under the silicone cover near the usb port. I didn’t pay much notice to it at the time but now i’m scared. I can’t be fucked going back out there tonight, but tomorrow night hopefully can run motor and input detection tomorrow.

Just waiting on pulleys from @JesseM that I forgot about about and this thing will be ready for belts that i have also forgotten about :man_facepalming: gotta try remember to measure and order belts tomorrow!

9 Likes

Coming hot, will express them to you tmoz so should have by thursday latest

2 Likes