Forget the grip use Glass Frit

We’re do I get acetone from

Most definitely will do some kind of damage. I’ve used acetone on quite a bit of surfaces for artistic purposes and you should always use gloves as it will damage your skin for months.

2 Likes

Pro tip: don’t accidentally put acetone in the lube drawer.

20 Likes

I think I gotta try this now.

Update: Don’t try this.

10 Likes

Weird, I use acetone all the time to get paint off my hands… like properly wash my hands with acetone, never had an issue.

3 Likes

I’ll shave my sack first just for good measure :metal:

3 Likes

For the marble and the metal get a can of freeze spray.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCHPC1R/?coliid=I3HF7GELKS9KMO&colid=2EPIZVA9TJ14U&psc=0

Spray it with that (with heavy rubber gloves). It will pop right off due to its very high coefficient of thermal expansion. Don’t try to sand the epoxy off the wood. The epoxy is harder than the wood. You will sand a divot around the epoxy. Someone else will have to help you figure out how to get that off.

2 Likes

Clever man Norm

If you can find freeze spray, go to Dealz and buy a can or two of cheap ‘air duster’ aerosols, they are used to blow dust out of pcbs/computers

Turn the can upside down and it works as a freeze spray

2 Likes

We use it to bust high strength bonds between metallics and composites at work. I have no idea who thought of it first but it wasn’t me.

1 Like

Plus you can pull a dent in the car out with it if you follow with a hairdryer, it kind of works, depending on the dent

Ok that is a pretty disappointing comparison in comparison

The marble should be dandy with the freeze method and if it doesn’t work and cracks the floor we are safely far from reach😏

2 Likes

What have you people don’t to my teaching thread. I started this thread to show people how to do the glass frit and now we have moved into putting acetone and isopropyl on your balls. :man_facepalming: mother of god.

13 Likes

You’re right we were just trying to help the kid

3 Likes

I decided to use some tartan when I sender-ise my Tayto :smile:

@BigBen trying to find something local, wanted to check this is OK before I order

https://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Slow-Cure-Water-Clear-Epoxy-Resin.html

1 Like

That looks more like the stuff that you encapsulate objects in… I use west systems epoxy kits off eBay for carbon fibre skinning.

1 Like

Like @Amazingdave said. Looks like casting resin?

Should the hardner be slow or fast?

@Itsmedant posted one that was slow , I assume safer for first attempt?

1 Like

Thanks, I would have found a use for it (already been thinking how to get some LED strips in the mix :slight_smile:) was more focused on the hardner speed part, I think I have something similar to @Amazingdave posted in a fiber kit I’ve yet to look at :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am selling some epoxy and spray paint so if anyone wants

https://forum.esk8.news/t/parts-for-sale-eu-uk-must-go-asap/1400/21

Yes, definitely go slow!

1 Like

Entirety depends on the climate where you are. A variety of factors will affect epoxy resin curing time; hardener ratio, ambient temperature and the use of heating tools (heat guns and lamps) all play a part in epoxy resin’s transition from liquid to gel to solid. Epoxy resin will cure faster in a warmer than cooler environment - so in cooler conditions, using a fast hardener may be advisable while the opposite may be warranted while working in warmer temperatures. The man to ask though would be @Sender

1 Like