Forget the grip use Glass Frit

I haven’t tried them yet. I want to grab some semi gloss, but it is more expensive for some reason.

Send me a link if you find some reasonably priced.

I read somewhere that the matte is almost “too matte” but I dunno.

1 Like

The price for amazon isn’t that bad. 24 dollars free shipping

or if you look at the other sellers you can get it for 23 dollars

Im gonna buy one as soon as I can and give it a shot.

I like fine grit but medium is just as good. If it is a standard skate deck it is projust a heat transfer graphic.

1 Like

So I got 400 grit sandpaper, but the graphic layer turned out to be so thin that even touching it with the sandpaper left marks. I just cleaned the bottom with some white-spirit and sprayed anyway.

Pictures of the process

Before starting:

Painters tape applied:

First layer done, sitting on top of some Sainsbury’s pizza boxes:

I did 3 layers (cuz why not?), final result looks like this. Is it good? Or did I not spray on enough?

5 Likes

Anyone? (@Sender) Want to know if it’s good, or if I should go at it again but with thicker coats. Saw a guy on Youtube using this stuff on a car part and he was completely drenching it with the spray :grimacing: In comparison my coats are bubbly like in the picture, because I’ve heard that thin coats are better (for paint at least).

2 Likes

What are you trying to do exactly?

Just trying to protect the bottom graphic against scratches from pebbles and going down curbs. Haven’t used spraymax 2k clear coat :tm: before so I’m not sure if I’ve done it right.

1 Like

Ahhhh it all makes sense now. Yeah, that shit looks great man!

1 Like

Thought I’d give an update after 3 weeks of riding: the coating definitely protects against pebbles scratching the bottom, but even lightly going down curbs goes right through. Going to need something much stronger for next time I buy a deck whose graphic I want to protect. (I don’t regret buying this one though, shape is amazing for freeriding :heart_eyes: )

2 Likes

Can anyone suggest a water based spar urethane available in Europe? Most I’m finding are oil based

1 Like

do you have minwax over there or general finish products?

This should do the trick for ya

1 Like

So this is what is keep finding all the water based stuff seems to be imported from the US, that one looks like it’s local but really coming from Pennsylvania, I just can’t import a tin of varnish it just feels so wrong lol

Edit: I’m going to try boat supply places locally

Here’s my fritty kitty.

I used @Sender’s method and it was perfect.

13 Likes

there should be epoxy that you could get locally

Thats what I use (as well as @Sender)

Its got a super low VOC (doesn’t smell bad) and it cures pretty much crystal clear.

Get the slow cure if its your first time!!

2 Likes

@bigben might know

Glass frit is love, glass frit is life.

Fine frit in clear epoxy in this case.

20 Likes

Love this build. That’s fabric right?

3 Likes

Yup, custom printed, I hope my deck maker will join us. :slight_smile:

I will create a build post once I heal and finish some other things.

2 Likes

You can do so much in fabric it is awesome. I have some real awesome stuff @mmaner designed on order

6 Likes