Forget the grip use Glass Frit

If you follow the guide it is pretty issue. If you think you added to much wait till it dries and brush it off with a Chip brush.

1 Like

my recommendation after 1 test and 2 legit jobs is to lay down a heavy coat when its time to frit… frit… and then come over the frit a press it down some…use something the glass wont stick into like a flimsy cutting board from wal mart…

before I lay the first frit securing coat i shake off all the loose frit that didnt initially stick…it wasnt meant to be…

then use a super soft ass bristle brush and super light ass coat of thane for that first coat over the frit…some of the frit will move outta place but you can also lay in another layer of frit in the bald spots…

then continue to repeat… that last 2 boards I got a bit excited and the first sealing coat I hit a lil heavy and it created air bubbles around the frit and drys kinda creamy looking… instead of clear…less is more just more of less :wink:

4 Likes

Give it a go. Process is simple, just take some care with it. I used epoxy, and it turned out pretty well. Expect epoxy might be better for locking in the frit than polyurethane.

Pressing it down would have helped a ton. I had a lot of really sharp chunks sticking up.

1 Like

I.used my hand lightly… Doesnt hurt but looser bits def stick to the hand… I.find.the sharp edges soften after a bit of riding naturally but.you want everything to glue in.nice.n snug

Here is my new custom bamboo deck that I fritted with clear fine frit and epoxy.

Sry for the vertical video, it was an IG story…
6 Likes

premixed the frit about 50/50 fine/medium and applied using polyester resin. The fine size is almost imperceptible as the resin sort of smooths them over.

8 Likes

I hate polyester resin personally. More prone to cracking and toxic AF.

Timing is everything with fine frit. If applied too soon it sinks into the resin and doesn’t do shit. Wait too long and it doesn’t get locked in well enough.

It is an art in and of itself.

12 Likes

@Sender I could def use more practice. Think I’m going to hold onto the poly for experimenting with vac infusion since that seems to be the standard in that application, but agree that epoxy would be much friendlier to work with in a hand layup, regular bagging, or applying frit.

1 Like

Does @Sender have a guide to skin a deck?

Id really like to refurbish the looks of my Evo and with some cool graphics and maybe transparent frit over

2 Likes

It’s sender science

1 Like

Nope it is ancient Chinese secret if you ask nice enough and stroke his beard he may tell you.

1 Like

Lol that’s like a trade secret - I probably wouldn’t write a guide either

That being said, there are other people on here who have done similar things to the skinning process and documented it

2 Likes

Haha, so far the biggest issue is where to get the canvas with the image to epoxy on the deck :smiley:

Start with this problem.

4 Likes
1 Like

And they make tons of mistakes…:sweat_smile::wink:

6 Likes

Can confirm.

3 Likes

I prefer ‘learning opportunities’ :rofl:

And there are plenty available for everyone

9 Likes

Anyone knows a store with good prices like easycomposites ( they dont ) that ships epoxy and that fancy top layer carbon internationally?