For street use, Lacroix deck or Kaly deck?

I just went for a ride with mah folks and tried a friend’s Nazare. So far i’ve tried all 3, the Prototipo, the new Kaly, and just 2 hours ago, the Nazare. This deck turns better than the Prototipo, in terms of ‘i won’t tiptoe and fall off when turning’

I didn’t like the Prototipo deck as much due to it being flat where your feet are. The Kaly’s shape of the deck is curved so your feet will feel like you’re standing on a large cylinder if you get what i mean, not everyone might like the feel of the Kaly deck.

All in all, i’d go with either the Nazare deck, and with Kaly being the second.

4 Likes

Mine has not moved at all and I am mostly using it for off road.

4 Likes

Thanks for the very detailed write up. I don’t think I can get a Nazare deck now unless I buy a Nazare :sweat_smile: this hobby is a black hole for money.

5 Likes

If you have the chance to try one in a group ride in your area, do it.

Always try it with your own two feet before promising. 9/10 people might like a certain thing but you might be the 1/10 that thinks it’s not to your taste.

Nazare decks shouldn’t be able to be purchased i think, so your best bets are the Kaly deck, or the Prototipo.

Oooh, have you considered this one?

8 Likes

Looks like you’ve ridden this one too base on the picture you shared. What do you think compare to Kaly or Trampa HS11?

Nah, the one in the photo is a Lacroix Prototipo, the owner just slathered a big black griptape over it haha.

I have not tried this deck yet but i’d assume it’s similar to a Prototipo given the shape, and better too since it has some concave.

I’ve stood on a Trampa Holypro before, and i think it’s just a HS11 with holes, i didn’t like it. I’d prefer the Kaly deck than the HS11/Holypro. It has the similar ‘cylinder’ feel due to the curve of course, but it’s flat where the feet are, so bindings are needed, or using spring trucks without dampas. The added angled lips where the edges of the Kaly deck helps a lot.

3 Likes

Maybe this gives you a better impression of the deck. I can say that its good for corners. Ive seen @EboardSolutions shred this thing at a go kart track without bindings he took the corners very well

6 Likes

Good question.

Commercial considerations:

• LaCroix no longer sells decks with enclosures yet our friend @Sender may have a few for sale;
  • Kaly sells deck + enclosure at $450, worth it compared to the Prototipo list price (when it was available).

Skater considerations:

Fit is about form. Nobody here can tell you which is better for you.

Of the two decks, back to back, I prefer the mass of the factory Kaly over the factory LaCroix Prototipo, no question. The Kaly works well with taller riders and the ‘wings’ offer foot placement guides that are very forgiving.

DIY, that’s another story. I own two LaCroixs that are kind of experimental platforms - here’s one of the latest, the “LaWing”:

For this build, basically, I designed a budget LaSender and @Winfly made it real. This LaCroix is powered by the gen 1 haggyboard.com @haggyboard.timo @haggyboard.jeff drivetrain with @torqueboards 110s & Tekton bearings under @alessandroassirelli Hammock base plates. Under the hood is a Unity, 12S5P Sony VTC cells: purposefully spartan.

We tried to keep this build as pure as possible; the only upgrade it will get is Trampa VESCs, as we phase out all Enertion stuff.

Trampa + LaCroix therefore is a super-effective choice. @DerelictRobot and @SeanHacker can tell you everything you need to know about their “Cascadia Carver” builds, and again, @Sender and @mmaner can customize either deck to make something truly special.

15 Likes

I still have one Prototipo ready for bad assinating.

Also have some Kaly decks without the honey comb top sheet on the way… perfect for skinning operations.

I have some cooool stuff in the works!

Here are the most recent Prototipo commissions.

23 Likes

I wasn’t aware they can come like this, how does it look? Just blacked out, or does it look neat?

1 Like

They don’t come like this… :wink:

4 Likes

Alright Mr. fancy pants :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hey do you route decks by any chance? I’ll PM you

1 Like

Yeah, hit me up.

3 Likes

It would be painful to drill on those beauties…

Why would you drill them?

I do it for you.

4 Likes

Fucking esk8 goals

3 Likes

Ok now I have to think of a non-dick image to put on a lacroix or kaly(not decided) deck.

3 Likes

Dicks are always welcome

7 Likes

How hard is it to carve without bindings?
I think the kaly deck is more fitted for trampa trucks, as they were designed around it, lacroix is something else.

I am not sure but I feel like they should work ok for all channel trucks