Following in The Steps of Carvon

Sure it is, too.
Its kinda confusing bc Michael does work on so many projects, thats insane ahhahaha. Sorry dude, i was a bit fast with my reply, was just triggered knowing it better this time hahahahah :man_facepalming: :man_shrugging: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Man no problem at all​:grin: you can write as fast as you want :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Yes I can but i dont wanna be the fool at all by spreading wrong information, bc im not.
Im a professional :joy:

1 Like

Awesome board

Lowering the motor Kv will only help is the ESC is overheating or already at its maximum current, if the motor gets hot, changing the Kv won’t matter

If you have headroom on the ESC just crank up the amps

1 Like

It’s slowly coming together, today I received my 12S2P enclosure from TB, less than bux 10 for an enclosure, and comes with mounting hardware!!! :+1:t4:

!

I push-sk8ed around for about an hour… this thing feels crazy fun! carvy but fun/stable and the back kick is awesome… I really can’t wait to ride wheelies with this little board powered… that reminds me, someone was making a rear skid for the kick somewhere on the site… I wanna make similar from nylon, and embed pieces of titanium, or just a titanium plate so I can make sparks when I ride awesome wheelies when powered…

the rest of this is just basic maintenance and bearing replacement… I found a great deal on some sealed ceramic motor bearings that I’m going to try out…

the process continues… be nice to each other please… except the buttholes… fcuk them!

7 Likes

I’m really not liking the cracked magnet in one can…

I can get a fingernail in there and feel a ridge at the crack and just know the epoxy holding the magnets has been compromised… any one have source for motor magnets?

Preferably 9ish x 235ish x 2.5ish and curved… But I’ll take what I can get…

or does anyone have a damaged can that still has some usable magnets in it?

Yes these will be battle-hardened once I’m satisfied…

@hummieee ???

2 Likes

Doubt you’ll find a match. I’ve heard of people gluing in the broken parts more so. Maybe sit the whole rotor in acetone and it likely will weaken the epoxy Snd u could put new square magnets in that u get off the shelf. While ur at it do it hallbach!
Any cheap ceramic bearings I’ve come across have broken. And loud. Maybe if the races are at least steel be ok. I’ve seen them explode.

3 Likes

Follow on for @hummieee, what if u just epoxy over it? Is it just a performance hit or does this tend to degrade or damage the Esc or stator?

1 Like

if I had all the pieces I’d try and jigsaw the magnet back in… but I know the underlying epoxy has been compromised, once I get it out… I’ll re-epoxy a new magnet back in and battle harden the can…

but as it sits the battle-hardening effort will only be a band-aid…

John, do you have source for “off the shelf magnets”?

and @Arzamenable if you have some magnets of similar size to spare I’d love to get my hands on them…

1 Like

@Chaka was also stoked on this idea. From the you tube videos I’ve seen, seems complicated to try to cram the various magnets in different orientations in the can with out major mods probably requiring a metal lathe or Cnc.

If not the case, I’d try it for science.

1 Like

“ 9ish x 25ish x 2.5ish and curved“. Wow Small. In past did 10x52x3 curved and will go longer than the stator next time which is worth doing.

I’ll bet u can really kick up the performance if u can get all the epoxy out and do again w hallbach. 8x25x2.5. And the sideways magnets at 4x25x2.5. Just square. Will drop the kv way down. Could rewind with fewer turns and fatter wire to bring kv back up n lower resistance

1 Like

was encouraged by the guy who made the 3D printed motor…it can be hard to assemble the hallbach but with his ratios of pole to side magnet he said they just snapped in.
Looking at the rotor you could put a dowel in the center and slide all in. How they behave exactly I don’t know and they could fight each other but even then I think if u get them in they will pull to the rotor steel.
I did simulations and a ratio of about 80/20 was best.

3 Likes

I rechecked the magnets are about 35mm long… corrected above…

1 Like

@kook, shit man, I gave a new unused carvon v2 or v3 single motor truck to a Luger at Barrett junction if he promised to show up next year with an eluge

He should be somewhere here lurking.

3 Likes

I have some flats kicking around. I’ll look when I get home.

My other 3 200x75 tires showed up too. Can’t wait to dick around with them.

1 Like

appreciate it brother!

:+1:t4:

Mentioned bi-metallic corrosion where aluminum interfaces with steel on the Carvons, @b264 asked if I could post sime pix… Here ya go…
Just pressed the motor off the hanger:

Close-up:

Both the above are untreated… Both pix below are from the opposite axle where I’ve already cleaned the corrosion off a bit with Scotchbrite and WD40

Heavy deposits to light galling and pitting… I hope this is what you wanted Brian.

Discuss

3 Likes

Wow, thank you very much

1 Like

Howabout silicone nitride? Better than ceramics for reliability? Yet better than steel for smoothness?

1 Like

I don’t know much and just know cheap ceramic can be disastrous. Just plain steel is good to me.

1 Like