Focbox Unity Smart reverse

Are there different FW versions for the unity that would allow me to install smart reverse?

I haven’t used smart reverse… but it’s there in the selections…

1 Like

So is this tool 100% compatible with the Unity? Can I upload it via the Focbox UI app via Bluetooth ir it needs to be connected via USB to the computer?

1 Like

lotta questions…
yes I’m running FW 5.xxx something on my unity
you need to upload it with Vesc tool
you also should do this stair-stepped… upload vesc 3.XX something first before jumping straight into this FW

I would NOT do it over bluetooth… it may take forever use USB
It is 100% reversible you can go back to Unity 23.46
the Unity app won’t work anymore, the VESC app works…

throw ben and the team a fiver at least… read the thread, there are some hinks… thermal throttling etc… I disabled my motor temp. sensor

there is a whole lot to read up on…

good luck

12 Likes

Super useful comment right here. I was wondering about all this too. I will wait until the new stuff is stable.

1 Like

I’m still a bit behind on the latest FW stuff. Smart reverse is the double reverse flick reverse engagement right?

If I wanted just regular reverse I can enable fwd/reverse on the app or “current” in the tool right?

I believe smart reverse is where you hold The brake and it starts ramping up reverse torque to keep you from rolling forward. Like on hills.

2 Likes

Isn’t there a new type of reverse that requires you push brake on your throttle twice to engage it? Or am I completely off. Might have been a VESC6 thing?

I think it requires you to hold brake, and you can set a reverse speed limit. That limit could be zero I believe.

1 Like

got it I don’t have the replacement tq boards vesc6’s yet so I haven’t played with it

I might fuck around and throw the new FW on my unity

good luck haha

1 Like

I’ve got one I’m building a board for. I’ve bench tested only but VESC FW upload had no issues, smart reverse config is easy

I’ve been riding with beta FW 5.2 on my Unity for weeks now. No issues at all for me. Both my temp sensors work. I rarely hit my thermal throttle so I can’t give much insight into that potential issue. I do enjoy smart reverse as a quality of life improvement. My Metr also works great.

Updating via USB-C took maybe 10 seconds. I even went from 23.46 --> 5.1 --> 23.46 --> 5.2 without a single hitch.

3 Likes

how do u do that? via unity ui app?

I use a PC tool at all times for quickness and the Unity APP will not connect to FW 5.X.

Basically, you use the tool that supports the FW you are trying to update to so 23.46 --> 5.X means the VESC tool and to revert back from FW 5.X --> 23.46 use the FOCBOX Tool.

6 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

That was pretty useful, I’ll upload the FW tonight, seems to be stable enough according to @Meeep

1 Like

I guys, would like some feedback on this.

Just trying a Unity for the first time. I installed the Unity FW and it works great but I miss the Smart Reverse functionality.

If it is stable enough I would use the official FW and the VESC Tool, smart reverse included :slight_smile:

Please let me know how it went…

I use FW 5.x and have no issues with it, including smart reverse.

1 Like