Focbox Unity issues

its alright man, shit happens from time to time. learn from experience :metal:t2:

2 Likes

It did say “pole pairs” but my mind skipped the “pairs” part.

1 Like

Hello. I was fairly active member many months ago. At the time, I built a custom board with the Unity and all. I had it running for a short while, then I let my buddy ride it. It somehow broke. I troubleshoot it and manage to get it running again. Can’t remember the issue. Anyway, next day I am riding it and then I let my buddy ride it again. It breaks again, lol. This time I could not troubleshoot it. I get busy with life and my board sits dormant since then. I was under the impression that I shouldn’t have tested out my board without having the enclosure done. I was just so excited and impatient that I figured it’d be alright as long as I didn’t go hardcore.

I recently got around to looking at it. I’ll tell you what, I’m almost impressed I even built it this far. Anyone that has played an rpg and then tries to continue a save file years later knows what I’m talking about. Was so lost, luckily I documented a lot and have schematics and stuff still lying around.

I could not connect my remote to the board. So I figure I have to reconfigure my Unity. Well, I can’t even connect to my Unity via bluetooth or by usb. So I can’t even really get started. I decided to delve into my hardware. I think one of my IC is fried.

< this is where I would post my picture, but it won’t let me >

This Unity was from the first batch iirc. It was one of the late ones? Regardless it was one of the first ones. So I’m sure there has been a bunch of upgrades and fixes since then. A lot has changed. I see that Enertion has gone under and the landscape is a different.

I don’t think I can really replace this IC if it is the problem. So I assume I’ll need to just snag another one?

1 Like

Although this thread is about unity, so since urs broke, might as well upgrade to TB6, if u fancy dual drive ESC, stormcore or DV6 are also great options.

Well it IS my Unity. I can’t seem to embed pictures or post links quite yet. I guess I have to re-earn some of those privileges.

let me try to cheese the system

https:// imgur. com /a/QuFydRe

1 Like

Okay, I should have just looked at 4 more topics before trying to post. I forgot the first level was that easy. Here’s the picture.

2 Likes

Since the whole blood unity fiasco, you can’t really snag them anymore unless you buy direct from Jason (where you run into moral issues and lack of CS/QC). Would recommend talking to the DRV guy (I think his name is Linus?) or just picking up 2 TB6’s or a Stormcore 60D (made by same engineer who did unity, stormcore is its successor). Idek even if the DRV guy could fix because that looks like a blown MCU

3 Likes

Hmm, that’s a fair point. I don’t really know what went down, but I got some of the tl:dr from some light browsing. Unfortunately, switching up VESC would add some complexity to getting this thing running again, lol. Rather than just replacing and going from there. I suppose I can get over that. The Unity, at the time, just felt so sweet and easy to use. I have yet to really look at the other VESC currently on the market. I didn’t want to just up and buy another one until I had some confirmation that my current one is, indeed, fried. I’m not sure if it was my fault or not though. Probably a combination of that and something wonky with the Unity.

Side note, is massivestator.com Jason then? Or is that just another vendor?

2 Likes

Yeah thats Jason, it’s quite a long story but some people are still out the money they paid for unities and never got them. I would ask around for the @ of the DRV wizard and see what he can find, idk too much abt all this

That’s pretty much the Stormcore 60D/100D right now

3 Likes

Oh, I totally just understood your response. You were suggesting alternatives despite it being a Unity thread. I gotcha. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding.

I looked at torqueboard 6, DV6, and the stormcore, and by that I mean I really like the look of Stormcore, but dang it’s not cheap. I like that Deodand was a part of that, there seems to be a lot of similarites, at least in the design of it. I won’t go too much into that right now since it’s not really the appropriate thread. So I’m going to wait until I get confirmation on my current one’s state or get asked for more information or pictures.

2 Likes

No worries, from the pic, it does look like blown mcu, but im not an expert so wait for others to confirm that.
If stormcore is out of budget, makerx is a really good second choice imho

1 Like

Today I was cruising home and my unity shutoff and would not turn back on. Got it home plugged in the charger for a moment and it turned on. Board was at 3.4v/cell.

Is this indication that it’s going to die?
Things I should check now that I don’t trust it?

That type of behavior sounds a lot like a BMS fault, you discharging through the BMS?

2 Likes

charge only. [ gen 1 lacrcroix nazaré ]

Interesting. I’m still leaning towards a battery issue, but could be something else.

1 Like

For the momentary button, the white wires are for the contact loop.
The red and black wires must be for the led light then, diode so polarity sensitive to make it light up.
Need to replace the button, but still want the visual feedback.
These momentary switches are easy to find, but;

What range should the working voltage be for the Led ? 4-12 Volt ?
Or is it more about current and not about the voltage? that makes sense for me, but looking for confirmation.

What do we know about the com port on the unity that the ble module connects to? Would it be possible to get the required signal from it into a usplit, then run a davegax and metr from the usplit outputs?
I have the vx2 on the main com port and don’t want to run the usplit on the remote

Here you go

1 Like

I wonder which pins correspond to the “io” and “clk” they’re not pins the other comm port has labeled.

They might be obvious on the unit if I hadn’t used thermal adhesive to attach to heatsink lol