Focbox Unity issues

My Unity wasn’t turning on early this week and I was fearing the worst. Found that the stock BT module had vibrated out of the socket (possibly shorting stuff?) I pull the module out and the Unity turn back on, then I plugged it firmly back in and it didn’t turn on again. So now I’m using the Unity without the stock BT and have a METR module plugged in. Real test ride to see if anything else is wrong when I get a new remote since I stupidly lost it yesterday

1 Like

yeah that was totally weird… but worked…

I;m not discounting user error (on my end) but try as I might I could not get the voltage cut offs to lower (on the same ride with (Fess) and all telemetry stopped…
board would run, but battery was almost flat and I had to be pushed to get back to the cars…

Worked fine once I gave the battery some juice, it was at 36 volts (12s) fully charged back up to 50+

Exonerating metr. it got the hall detection right. but “sensor mode” was still set to sensorless. though it could have assumed I wanted that since I did hall detection.

2 Likes

I think I’m running into the same issue here but with the Flipsky vx2. In the UI I had to set the uart to 115200 baud and applied that to get the remote input in. But when I go to calibrate it just hangs

and the motors are not going full speed.

Sorry I’m new to the VESC tool, but what exactly did you do with the 2.06 tool?

Don’t follow my advice. I thought I had everything running sensorless FOC on fw 5.06 and after a few rides I experienced sudden braking on one side that resulted in a broken arm. Today I hooked the Unity back up to my PC and I cannot get the motors to detect correctly. I am not sure if my problem is blown drv chips or the motor. More testing to follow. I am getting a “Flux linkage detection failed” if I try to run the wizard. Good luck and BE CAREFUL. Bench test the fuck out of it. And gear up, especially for those shakedown runs.

1 Like

wouldnt this: Unity not booting? You are not alone! (How to fix the bootloader)
Correct your bluetooth? Ive done this and its not hard, I put the vesc firmware on and bricked mine.
Then I did this and revived it. Maybe try this.

1 Like

Ok. Anyone have ideas on what’s up with my remote calibration hanging? Or how do I do the calibration via the other desktop tool?

I never did remote calibration on my unity with vx2 and it works fine.

1 Like

I can attest to these glitches. They are scary as fuck

1 Like

jess… we’re currently waiting VESC FW5.02 for a different temperature sensor filter… I depinned all my temp. sensors…

ALL

1 Like

Please note that my guide is for if your unity does not turn on at all. Please try to reflash the firmware first, and only try the bootloader if that does not work. Weird Bluetooth issues probably won’t be fixed by reflashing the bootloader as the only thing the bootloader does is, well, booting the firmware.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever wired an aftermarket momentary switch for the unity, or do I just suck at searching?

Like how does led2 led1- led+ MOM MOM on the unity match up to NC NO C + - on a generic momentary switch?

I’ve been using this one for over a year…no problems. Red to (+) black to (-) the two mon connections don’t matter.

5 Likes

Ooh nice ok I may have a similar one, and this will light up the LED fine?

1 Like

What’s going on here…does anybody know what this means?

2 Likes

Hi people,

where can I get the latest tool for Windows for the Unity?
I only can find weird unofficial websites, or just use app?

Edit: Totaly forgot vesc tool has the unity fw now :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Point of clarity:

vesc tool supplies bldc/vesc fw 5.1 and up which is compatible with unity.

if you want to to run latest/last unity firmware 23.46 you still need focbox ui for unity. zip files for windows are still in the enertion repo.

it also compiles for mac with a little tweaking. idk if anyone’s hosted a build.

4 Likes

I’m having issues on focbox with red constant light and white light flashing. When I try to connect to bluetooth with it, it prompts: “could not read firmware version. Make sure port really belongs to the FOCBOX.”

I’m gonna try the power port on/off button but it appears to be in fact showing voltage on meter.

ok a weird one… I was telling @Venom121212 that I almost never turn off the Unity but I let it time out most of the time…

so I rode the board a few days ago… I was going to go sk8 so I wanted to see which board had enough charge…

went to push the button, but it was already on… ok weird… I went to connect VESC Tool fone app to see the board’s SOC but I get firmware out of date blah~blah. I figger I’ll power cycle the board, but the button won’t turn off… hmmmm WTF… I pick up the remote connects… but doesn’t appear functional… no zoom-zoom

I put the board on a 2 amp charge and go sk8… I figger it’s the stupid button, or worse the anti-spark… oh well it was a good ride for that UNity…

come back… crack the enclosure… break the XT90 battery to Unity, to power cycle it… everything comes back to life when i press the start button… hmm button works now…
connect to app… it works… connect it to remote… it works…

and now the button and time-out function works…

WTF

just a simple power-cycle…

W :doughnut: :doughnut: H :doughnut: :doughnut:

k00k wins the esk8 lottery… now I just have to bolt back up the enclosure

9 Likes

See that’s why I sold my unitys, if I don’t know why they do this shit randomly, then I can’t trust it. They seems to have a mind if their own. I can’t trust my life on something so… Sooo…
K00ky?

I can trust k00k, but I can’t trust something pretending to be k00k

3 Likes