FocBox Tenka Talk

If you’re willing to purchase it without the expectation of support or a warranty, sure.

A lot of folks in this community never received the Unity they purchased, or any sort of warranty support so it’s not a stretch that the same exact person selling the same product could pull that again.

Unity is V4 architecture which is why it doesn’t keep up in power delivery to the 60D+. I’m suggesting that the Tenka may just be a repaired/reworked Unity; zero hardware changes + JayPo is sitting on a fat stack of busted Unity, wouldn’t be a stretch to get them reworked, potted, and resold as a “new product”.

Edit: who is flag brigading this thread? So sensitive :joy:

Edit2: flag brigade you have no power here.

12 Likes

You said it first huh

1 Like

No I stole it from @DerelictRobot lol. Though it’s a rumor it seems to be plausible.

1 Like

Yep, not something I have hard evidence on, but from my POV it sure smells a little fishy.

I’m not sure how the cost savings of skipping out on the BLE module, top heatsink, and silicone boot add up to spinning it into a new ‘lower cost option’. We’re talking at most $6-8 reduction in BOM cost from those components when they’ve already paid for the expensive tooling to make them. This isn’t factoring in the added cost of labor in potting them either.

It’s reasonable to assume that post-Enertion collapse, there might be a large pile of Unity with busted antisparks as that was a common/inevitable failure point. Wouldn’t be a stretch to repair those & pot them to cover up the rework, flipping a pile of busted Unity into a “new product”

Again, just my own thoughts on the matter and I could very well be wrong, but I do have a background in embedded systems design & electronics manufacturing. Something doesn’t smell right with the Tenka.

Edit: the above mentioned point about them not being repairable is a great point too. We already have a massive problem with e-waste, I’m not sure introducing a Throwaway ESC to the market is a great idea any time, much less in 2021. It’s also terrible for the consumer if they can only be replaced, not repaired.

Edit2: suck it, flag brigade you have no power here.

13 Likes

Great point. You’ve been so helpful.

1 Like

Added gorilla tape to the inside of the enclosure. Is this a bad idea/fire hazard?

3 Likes

I dont sell a puck shell at all and never have.

I had my only unity die and power off at 45kph a few weeks ago. Fucking supermanned me hard. I’m changing to makerx dv6 next

7 Likes

This is scary to me. How you are ok.

1 Like

Skip right to 5:00-5:40 to see the Tenka throw a fault at 74A and toss the reviewer to the street.

14 Likes

It was a lovely rendezvous, wherein the pavement told them all of its secrets.

Without the Tenka, that new friendship wouldn’t have been possible. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing. My blood was boiling for a second. Now my noob question: 60a/motor=120 motor amps= 120 battery amps?

Or was that board set to 40a/motor to throw a fault?

3 Likes

I believe per their video narration, they had the Tenka set to 80 motor amps (same as their test Unity) and had it fault at 74A, then reduced to 70A without further faults. That’s per motor, they didn’t specify what their battery amps were set to afaik.

That’s… Not great. The original run non-blood Unity I have was run at 100A motor on the daily without issue. If this isn’t an isolated issue & the Tenka is faulting at 70A+, it’s possible MOSFETs were also removed to reduce cost.

7 Likes

1 Like

I can’t believe he showed that and wants to sell it now
@PropulsionBoards explain your self???
also @PropulsionBoards your saying the V word alot
You don’t want trampa/frank on your ass

5 Likes

I think “master” means you built/d something other people use in their own build.

Or maybe having a 12S12P+ just makes you a master builder idk.

3 Likes

I can’t believe he’s still got the wrong fucking connector on the ESC side. It says its “universally compatible” but not with any battery built anywhere.

dead giveaway its still the same trash he was selling before.

20 Likes

naw they just used shittier componets from manufactures that r known to forgo qc. Guy knew what he was doing, its why he slathered conformal all over the esc so u can’t see the electronics. It has 0 reason to be on there. If the electronics r what I think they r from pics. Then its like playing the flipsky lottery. You will never know when u will win. That why i always use the mini remote its cheap and its very reliable, LMFAO.

but yeah no, mostfest r most likely on there or at least lower rated ones or shittier versions of the.

3 Likes

Honestly the number of steps taken backward since the 1.7 is quite impressive.

7 Likes

I still have a beta unit running in one of my boards and an OG from year one when they were still working well. But that was a different time. Its been a downhill mudslide ever since though.

3 Likes