FocBox Tenka Talk

Someone on Reddit de-potted a Tenka. I have no clue how to read circuitry, but it seems like a Unity Lite?

6 Likes

It is a unity. Almost all components are the same. What i could make out that 12 out of the 24 fets (?) are missing compared to the unity.

It still has the same focbox lettering as well as the “unity” imprint next to the second sensor port.

5 Likes

No wonder it cut out at 74 amps lol

2 Likes

Here an almost perfectly alignend comparison i threw together.
tenka vs a unity that’s missing the connectors. *Pictures not from me
ezgif.com-gif-maker

22 Likes

Where is the slow motion button for that imagine? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

6 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker(1)

slow enough?

Here with transition in case it’s preferred (first 2 transition might be laggy, after that it’ll be smooth)

ezgif.com-gif-maker(4)

25 Likes

It’s kinda funny that they did 12AWG on the unit with 12 fets, and shipped 14AWG on the unit with 24 fets for years :joy:

18 Likes

Solid work lining that up. I appreciate your efforts.

7 Likes

Is this surprising from the company that brought us: “We’re never wrong, we’re just innovating!”

11 Likes

thats so perfect

2 Likes

you tenka my board, i tenka your life.

4 Likes

It would appear it’s also missing its canbus transceiver.

Also, if the discovery here is that it has half the number of MOSFETs populated; the current ratings listed on the Massive Stator product page are grossly over-spec. No wonder @PropulsionBoards went to the street at 70+ amps, these things are probably 50A controllers at best.

11 Likes

Where is it situated? Haven’t seen any “big” components missing apart from the fets.

2 Likes

Actually, I think I misspoke, the chip I glanced at does appear to be there but it’s still somewhat buried by the potting compound.

It’s likely on the other side of the PCB, directly adjacent to the canbus header. Can’t see from here if it’s populated; but those canbus transceivers are one of the chip-shortage effected components so I’d guess they didn’t populate it if the header isn’t accessible. Has anyone tested canbus on one of these?

2 Likes

speaking of compound.

Another thing that proves that it’s just a reworked unity (if it wasn’t bloody obvious enough already) is the glue around the BLE header and USB-C port. Why add glue when it’s getting potted anyways.

4 Likes

i see no rework here when all JP did was removing things :joy:

3 Likes

stripping down is reworking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

So, it’s official. Tenka’s are just pottered Uniturds, like we all thought. :roll_eyes: Is “pottered” a word yet? Cause it should be. Something like, to potter is to knowingly deceive or obscure some important or material fact(s) regarding an item or situation, with the intent of scamming, misleading or deceiving others for personal or financial gain.

JPo is quite the innovative turd polisher. I’ll give him that though. :kissing_heart:

7 Likes

i wonder what he did with all those bluetooth modules, though…
i bet they get released as an optionable upgrade later.

1 Like

this is funny because its really more of a subtraction, ayyyyyy
edit:

6 Likes