FOC ESC's with phase filter support for HFI

So I’m seeing a trend where a lot of 3rd party ESC’s are dropping phase filter chips from their hardware designs. I’d like to be able to use HFI eventually and removing the phase filters prevents the use of HFI. Are there any ESC’s on the market other than the Trampa that have proper HFI support?

2 Likes

You sure about this one boss? Phase filters are a brand new thing only enabled in firmware 5.3

This is not true

1 Like

So here’s the thing about that - Searching on this forum for HFI and phase filters yields a number of posts that claim this was the case. If it isn’t, that’s great to hear.

What exactly does the phase filter do then?

How many of those posts are made by the person who sells those ESCs with phase filters?

1 Like

I think you mean to say DRV chips

I believe you mean silent HFI, possibly with tracking down to zero rpm. Terminology at this point is still fuzzy.

This is the start of the relevant discussion about if you need phase filters.

2 Likes

I believe the new stormcores have phase filters.

@jaykup or anyone else what is the purpose of phase filters, are they really not needed in your view?

Frank thinks they are needed, I read stormcores adding them as an endorsement of this view. What am I missing?

1 Like

I’m not sold on them yet. They do have an impact on the the motor detection results which I’m not sure is good or bad. They also seem finicky even on models that have them. I think as the code evolves they may become a lot more useful.

I was able to get a VESC 6 without phase filters to run silent HFI on a standard esk8 outrunner, but when I tried on an ebike DD hub motor, none of the new HFI settings worked at all. Even tried 4 different ESCs. Wouldn’t even spin the motor with no load when it was enabled. I wonder if a phase filter model would have better luck.

2 Likes

Dang it, that’s what I was planning to do. So does noisy HFI still work on ebike dd? Makerx sv6

1 Like

I wasn’t able to get HFI to work but I didn’t do the full tune.

VSS worked the best but still pretty poorly under lots of throttle.

Hall sensors worked flawlessly.

I have another ebike with a larger hub motor that I’ll eventually test it on. Let me know how it goes for you.

1 Like