FW 5.3 is out! Vesc Tool 3.01

Does this also need temp/ground?

1 Like

Also that’s in the current beta yeah? Probably not eta on a full release

no it doesn’t need any

1 Like

VSS needs phase filters. Your best option is HFI.

2 Likes

ftfy, u r welcome

7 Likes

From Vedder’s video:

You don’t need phase filters. Turns out you don’t even need phase shunts.

I bench tested this on an old VESC 4.12 from 2016 as I figure there is nothing less advanced than that controller.

These are the 4 new HFI options.

The “45 deg V0V7 HFI (Silent)” is silent and work great on phase shunt designs (Vesc 6, 75/300 & UBox 75). It does not work well on battery shunt designs.

The “45 deg V0 HFI” works great on the old VESC 4. It is just as noisy as the old HFI, but actually works without cogging at 80A and doesn’t need the same level of tuning. Should be the same for all the other battery shunt designs (Unity, Stormcore, D60/D75/D100, Ubox 100, etc).

This is really exciting stuff! I plan to test ride with both the V4 and V6 soon to see how it works in the real world.

23 Likes

Tracking the rotor precisely down to zero RPM is only possible with phase filters.
You can see the performance with phase filtering in Vedder’s video posted above.
It is working a lot better than the Hall sensors, comparable to AS5047.
However, even for older HW this is a big fat bonus feature and a lot better compared to the older HFI solution.

Tested this today on the single motor board at 90A with an original VESC 6 beta with no hardware phase filters. I figured the single motor would use more current for longer, heat up faster, and expose any weaknesses in the new HFI. No temp sensor.

Acceleration test using a Dragy: halls vs silent HFI:

Same starting position, alternating between HFI and halls each run.

Silent HFI was just slightly faster off the line, and super smooth. No cogging even as the motor got hot.

You know how you can kind of feel the transition between sensored and sensorless? Doesn’t exist with silent HFI.

It wasn’t completely silent though. There is a very short pulse right at the start, kind of like VSS.

Second test was on a steep hill.

I used smart reverse to go backwards up the hill. This goes slow and keeps it in the HFI RPMs. It uses somewhere around 50A and was perfectly smooth.

Then I started to roll backwards down the hill at a few MPH and gave it full throttle at 90A. Perfect reversal up the hill. Absolutely amazing considering I did zero tweaking.

I’ll have to hook up a VESC 4 and try that next.

19 Likes

bro, all these testing is worthy of a new thread

11 Likes

hi, guys i have receive my Dual Ubox V2 75v 100A x2 J yesterday and start tune it and what do you think about my settings and set up :

215 pounds + 50 pound mtb , 18s lipo (80A continous safe current) no bms , 200mm wheels
i want to brake fast at 40 mph and i don’t to lose brake like my previous 4.10 at high speed

Regen batt amps is a bit high, that’s enough to easily lock your wheels, but good otherwise. The weird motor Regen current number is also bugging me. Make it a nice round 90 :joy:

the weird motor regen ? you mean motor max brake current , is the result of my motor detection :joy:

yeah ik. please change it :rofl:

1 Like

yes i know its already reduce to 65 , this post is 12hours old

1 Like

i have 2 others questions ,

the first one is the maximum input voltage limit and i don’t know i why but i can’t set it to higher value then 72v and my battery voltage is 75.6 at full charge

and my last question for today :laughing: is it possible to get some brake regen if lost remote signal or if my battery cut ? i don’t remember the name of this option at the time i was on ackmaniac , but its very useful if can stop on hill or just imagine losing it a 40mph no brake at all is scary me

Because 67V input is about the max for a 75/300 and probably also the UBOX. You always need headroom for voltage spikes! So at 72V the voltage protection is triggered.
16S LiIon is the max for those devices.

my ubox is v2 75v 100A J version with 100v mosfet maybe spintend forget to tell me to change firmware

1 Like

Mosfet is one thing, shunt amplifiers and voltage regulators also have limits. The component with the lowest limit is the one that sets the safe voltage limit.
Typically you try to avoid 100V Fets in 75V devices, because the 100V FETs have a way higher internal resistance and perform less good (produce more heat).

1 Like

i contact spintend and they send me a special firmware for it

1 Like