Flipsky Smart Antispark Issues, Feedback, and Review

Thank you for the feedback.
Even with common ground, you think it will not work? Not sure if I understand the “high side switch”.

The way I see this was working was the MOSFET cutting the GND, thus the +Vbat is there just to power the “gate” throug a resistor to lower the voltage up to the MOSFET gate voltage. But I’m not an expert on this and I might be missing something.

Any recommendation you might have for this to work?

The pro switch switches GROUND
switches that AREN’T COMPLETE SHIT will switch the positive rail, the pro switch DOES NOT SWITCH the positive rail, it switches the GROUND rail.

DRAW THE CIRCUIT. Take out the antispark and all its connections, Can you draw a path from the positive terminal to the negative terminal of either supply going through the loads? If the answer is yes, something WILL EXPLODE.

Use two separate switches.

The positive terminals (+VBat1 and +VBat2) on the two systems are never combined and are completely separated. Only the ground is common to both, so if you draw this circuit, +VBAT can’t be connected. What do you think?

:man_facepalming:

Explody path

Bigger explosions than using Klee from genshin impact.

This is why you don’t switch the ground rail.

1 Like

If you want to connect 2 separate systems (let’s say different 2 VESC) each one with his own power battery, you need to have both GND connected in order for they to work with CANBUS (see below).

This was the reason I was thinking it could work with one single anti-spark switch. Looks like I was wrong, as per your comments, it will see reverse polarity due to the anti-spark switch.

That’s because it’s the reference point of the circuit, everything refers its voltage to that point, and why it is common across all units. Putting an antispark in there that disconnects this causes the different components to be at different voltages for their reference point and boom fire.

You will have a fire through the CAN bus, if not caps exploding.

I was intrigued by this and it might be a bit of topic, but just wanted to leave here this comment so others can investigate further if needed.

According to VEDDER (see this thread) you can use 2 different power sources and you should connect the battery grounds so they work together (just advise to not connect the logic grounds on the Canbus).

That been said and consider the Flipsky anti-spark switch cuts the GND, will it work for the earlier mentioned setup (more detailed picture below)? Or there are some more to the anti-spark switch that can create an issue?

Dude, I am literally trying to help you not blow up your electronics.

Why are you so insistent on trying to save $20 that will end up costing you hundreds of dollars?

You need to use two separate switches or an xt-90S that disconnects both positive rails.

It’s like buying a $2,000 laptop, and then getting a $15 charger, only to have said $15 charger blow up said laptop.

When you disconnect that part of the circuit you have indicated, there is still a separate current path through both supplies and both loads that will cause problems.

The problem is not about connecting ground, that’s fine. The problem is disconnecting ground the way you have shown.

3 Likes

Savage! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Do as @Gamer43 suggests. The switch on ground still leaves a path for the destruction of electronics, which was identified for you earlier. If you do use only one, please record what happens…for science and future generations. It’s not worth a lengthy debate if you don’t understand what he is saying; he knows what he is talking about. Better safe than out one to four >$20 components.

3 Likes

Thank you! I just wanted to be sure, not complaining on the replies.

Just to resume and be safe: even using 2x anti-spark from flipsky it will not work, since they cut GND. Correct? As suggested by @Gamer43, 2x XT-90S is the best/simpler option.

If you guys know about some anti-spark switch that can cut +Vbat instead of GND, please advise.

Ok, so the PRO switch will disconnect ground

The SMART switch will disconnect BAT+

The SMART switch is the one discussed at the beginning of the thread.

Sorry, I shouldve made the following more clear in my responses.

One switch in the GROUND path will NOT work and cause problems with the setup you have pictured.

To accomplish your goal you will need two switches that separately disconnect the battery POSITIVE connections.

3 Likes

Installed one of my Flipsky Smart Enhanced antisparks in my brother’s board the other day, and noticed a strange issue. The switch keeps turning itself on!

No matter if I turn it off manually, or wait the 30 minutes for auto shutoff, after sitting off for 5-10 seconds, the switch will come alive again, and I can hear my robogotchi playing the startup jingle.

Anyone else ever experience this? I’m using a Maker X DV6.

1 Like

I have a few of these in different boards and they have been rock solid. No issues

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

6 Likes

Excessive output capacitance may hold enough charge to retrigger the auto-turnon feature.

Try adding an additional 10k resistor across the output.

I wanted to redesign the switch with an active output discharge, but flipsky went radio-silent, so this is what we have to work with, unfortunately.

1 Like

Just to confirm, like this?

I guess at 50V that’s 0.25W of idle power draw, so should be safe.

Yes, and it only draws power when the switch is on.

1 Like