Flipsky new 2021 $50 spot welder thoughts?

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Oh boy id be happy to guinea pig this one. I’ve been looking for something like this, and if flipsky fucks me over with this one I’ll dispute the charge.

Edit: maybe not, this is for thin .1-.15mm nickel. Mines .2 so I’d have to blast it on the highest setting and hope for the best if anything.

2 Likes

I’m curious to hear of it, everytime i see something like this on aliexpress i wonder how shitty it could be

(I mean that’s about the entry point for a decent solder iron)

3 Likes

I found a bunch of similar ones like this on amazon, I’m just worried about their capacity. I may just borrow a good one until I decide to buy one.

2 Likes

Lmk bro. Are you going to the April 3rd ride?

It all depends on how well my board stays together. Might wrap it in duct tape to be sure LOL. Enclosure is falling off but I’d be mad if I didn’t go.

It looks like its the same as this one which seems to work fine. I’m going to buy it.

Edit: Apparently it sucks, it I’m not going to buy it. Thanks for the heads up

3 Likes

DO NOT FUCKING BUY THIS POS SPOT WELDER :grin:

I did that mistake and it sucks on .2mm nickel, worked okay with the one they provide but still sucky sucky

Edit: Might as well save up a little and buy a maletric or a kweld

5 Likes

Be careful!
That might be only 0.1mm thick nickel plated steel strip being used in the video. This will weld a lot easier than the thicker pure nickel typically used for esk8 packs.

3 Likes

I spent a long time looking at all the spot welders on aliexpress. They’re trash. $100 gets you 0.1mm. I thought there’s chance that this new one might be good because flipsky put out a solid spot welder before this. If this can work at 0.1 or even 0.15 (real nickel) then this can be a great option for someone on a budget that just needs 1 pack

3 Likes

It’s not designed for 0.2mm nickel. Max is 0.15mm and I’d be conservative with my bets and only order 0.1mm (pure nickel) and double stack. (If I were to actually buy this)

1 Like

ive had the boss welder and the kweld. the boss is broken and the kweld going strong. it can weld continuously .1mm copper and not over heat. you can even do .2mm copper if you slit it. i wouldnt waste your time getting another welder. best to just borrow someone’s

2 Likes

Saved me with this one, ty

2 Likes

Thank you!!! You just saved me - the inability to use .2mm nickel strips is a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

Whats our differences between .2 and .1 (even .15mm) nickel strips? Just strength/heat?

As far as i could tell all of flipsky good that aren’t Motor or remote are just OEM aliexpress random stuff

The amount of current you can transfer without the nickel heating up

See “current conductor ratings”

I only use 0.2 because I want the current capabilities

2 Likes

Yep didn’t know that the first pack I made with it (the newb life) now I got a maletric that works just fine done my second pack with it and soon to be 3rd.

1 Like