Flipsky is a bad actor, you probably shouldn't be giving them your money.

Skill issue

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a vendor post or something a few month ago also about the zbms clone? Was it makerbase?

Edit: it was Maxkgo

1 Like

At least 3 of the 4 Tabors in DC with gen 2 motors do indeed scream, almost as much as the gen 1 prototype.

Video of me flying by (sound effects courtesy of person filming):

1 Like

One of them knocked off the TTL light kit as well to a degree iirc

1 Like

My 6384’s start screaming at top speed (top speed is 51km/h, they start screaming at around 49km/h. Do I need to be worried about it or is it fine? Other than the sound, nothing weird.

1 Like

That is a loud noise but that’s not what I mean by scream.

When I say scream, I mean a very specific resonant frequency that makes your ears ring.

2 Likes

The real elephant in the room is if we were to fully boycott flipsky, we’d have to in turn not support at least a few good boutique complete companies.

They’re an necessary evil at this point unfortunately. Not sure if the whole forum AND companies that use their parts flex our buying power could convince them to drop the zbms.

1 Like

Idk that we’d ever convince them to drop a specific product that already exists. In an ideal world where we and whatever support we could wrangle boycotted them completely or specific product lines, it would disincentivise them from cloning and being scummy in future

I’m usually not a big fan compromising principle for some vague idea of “practicality” but IMO it would still be a positive outcome if we just all refused to give them profit on stolen IP or risking users’ safety. I’m not saying it’s a good thing to still buy their motors because the same people profit, but it’s certainly better than giving them profit directly off theft and it encourages them to keep stealing. A big part of organising for impact with boycotts is being focused because it’s both more effective and more sustainable/achievable

5 Likes

I am not sure its stolen IP. While I understand that ZBMS was the first on the market I think it uses this architecture Lithium Ion Battery Management and Protection Module (BMS ) Teardown - Schematics, Parts List and Working (circuitdigest.com) without the discharge path.

I wanted to buy a ZBMS really bad but it was so out of stock that I decided to build one for myself and thats when I found the article above.
I understand that ZBMS is made by one guy who do this parallel to school, but when something is so unavailable for so long that you decide to build one for yourself from scratch I wouldn’t put all blame to other parties creating something on the same publicly available principle.

When I started to design mine for my onewheel build it started to look like ZBMS pretty quickly, as form factor is kinda decided(look at fungineers or pickel bms, they use diff architecture but form factor is the same) and its based on the same architecture.

Ofc stealing stuff is not cool and if they bought one and copied it fuck them but I know I didnt and mine looked really close in kicad renders.

5 Likes

That happens thruout every industry. When a mfg corners a market and gouges, they are served right by making generics. We need to reform the entire patent system.

I believe we’re about on the same page, but you’re quite eloquent and I can be blunt.
The thing is is that the only 2 products this forum/vendors frequents are the motors and remotes. OW guys will buy up the bms’s and beginner builders will keep buying the lower end hardware/mechanics. A boycott here on coppied products presumably will have near zero effect on their business IMO.

I say this from no high horse at all, more from acceptance of the reality were in, but this whole thread is an exercise of our morals only go as far as our wallets/pocket books.

And this was a tounge in cheek caricature of it.

Flipsky is our conflict mineral, despite how much you try, we all use them. Using them is an acceptance that thats how things are for now. No amount of virtue signaling will change that until the industry changes. Which maybe a while as sk8 motora/parts are quite niche, so we dont have the buying power/quantity to sprout a big market which brings more options aka beggers cant be choosers.

I won’t be buying anymore FS motors, but not from a moral stance, time prooved they don’t hold up to my riding to the longevity I want.
Anyways, just my 2c :v:

P.S.
I do know of one vendor that we do have the buying power to get them to be compliant with vesc gpl, but no one seems too interested in that.

6 Likes

The zbms is fairly simple. Nothing particularly proprietary from my understanding. Them cloning the exact design and using the name is really shitty.

1 Like

Is this news?
There’s a reason we call these products flipshit…

1 Like

contrary to the name, esk8 news does, in fact, not publish news.

7 Likes

Do an Amazon Prime return!!!
That is how I fixed my screaming ones …

1 Like

Mine are the silent V2 motors. I opened them up ane cleaned them. They’re doing ok now

1 Like
5 Likes

So does this mean I could’ve gotten quieter motors for my gear drive?

It was only coincidental that me finding out the Flipsky motors I’m using now are the same as the ones Boardnamics sells.

Yes. Apex is currently selling the v2, quieter flipsky motors.

1 Like

Flipsky has a history of copying/stealing hardware designs and selling them as their own.

In this case, you can tell Flipsky copied @JoeyZ5 's Zbms design because of the way it is, and also because they plagiarized the name “Zbms”. :rofl:

4 Likes