Flipsky 7070 110KV 4200W motor review?

4 Likes

Damn bro… that is impressive

Reviving an old thread because I’ve never seen anybody try the 140kv or 170kv version of these motors. My pair of 170kv just arrived. They will replace pair of the old version (non-battle-hardened, both 44mm and 30mm mounting holes, short tail piece w/o the blue dot) of their 190kv 6374s. I’ve put somewhere between 3500 and 4k miles on this board w/ the 6374’s, running between 15/72 and 12/72 gearing with all sorts of tires between 7in Evolve and enormous 9-10in knobbies, am excited to share the difference. A good half of my miles on this board have been sensorless, so not worried about the sensors giving up the ghost early. I’m mainly concerned that the temp sensor functions so I can answer questions re how much current these will take at 12S in this config. I must say that I was impressed with their delivery speed this time. I ordered last Wed, prior to a long holiday weekend. They shipped out my motors on Monday, I have them on my desk in Michigan on Friday mid-day. This too intervention w/ DHL… Takes 1-2 days (thx to crossing the international date line) to get to the USA, another WEEK for the final delivery given their tiny presence here. If you note when it arrives at your local depot, you can ask that hey hold it even before the first delivery attempt. I did this today, yet they sent it out on a truck anyway 5min after my call, I drove there while they drove to my house! They were able to call the driver, get him to leave it w/o a signature, all’s well. If you’re in the USA, don’t want to wait longer for the last 5mi than the first 10k miles, try intervening.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve got these dialed-in as best I can with the pulleys and tires I have ATM, and I love 'em. The increase in torque from 190kv 6374s at 12s is profound. I’d gone from 15t to 14t to 12t in search of torque with the 6374s, am now putting 9in tires back on, going back to 15t or 16t too. On 90degF days, I’ve seen motor temps in the mid 60s at 75A, low 70s at 85A, but my ESC needs better cooling to exceed 75A with these. I was able to push 85A to my 6374s w/o heat issues, think the problem is loss of physical contact between the heatsink and case. (I cover the case w/ a 3mm thick silicone membrane which used to be flush against the ESC’s back plate, now there’s an air gap… I need to prop the ESC up with a piece of foam, etc, slather heatsink paste on the membrane?)

1 Like

Yeahthatperson… I’ve gotta say, I think your shaft failure was caused by the snap ring getting caught in the gap in your motor plate. The clip rides just proud of the face of most of my Flipsky motors, I was unable to use a pair of their 6384s for this reason… The clip would get stuck in the small hole in my motor plate. I tried counter-sinking the hole, spacing the motor back with a large diameter washer, which made just enough room, but had to return them for other reasons. If the clip is prevented from rotating, it just wears into the shaft. My flipsky and Torqueboards motors with failed bearings have deep grooves in the shaft where each stuck bearing sat… the shaft is NOT as hard as the steel used to make the bearings, and apparently softer than the spring steel used to make snap rings. My Maytech / Lacroix shafts fared better after bearing failure, but everything else about that motor is inferior… idiotic sensor mounting + bearing choices made to accommodate a 10mm shaft inside a core designed for an 8mm shaft. The lemonade move for me is rebuilding my Torqueboards 6380s with the shafts from my failed Lacroix 6389s, which requires grinding 4 flats into the end of the shaft for the bell retaining screws to bite.

1 Like