Flipsky 6384s thermal issues

I’m not sure if this is the right category but I can’t be the only one facing this issue.

I got some new 6384 190kV motors and I’m running a dual setup with 8”x2.5” pneumatics at 20psi (little low, ik) - using about 35Wh/mi. Running on FOC at 80/-80 motor amps and 40/-30 batt amps. Max temp set to 85C with 15% headroom for braking (standard in the latest VESC FW)

On these settings, after just about 2.5 miles of moderate riding - I start to get thermal throttled due to the motors - they get HOT.

I know that this is an issue with sealed motors but for 6384s this performance is subpar. Anyone else have similar issues?

2 Likes

What FW? Motor temperatures have been disabled since FW5.0 so it’s possibly just the temperature interpolation bug with phase current mucking up the reading. Do you have any logs?

seems more like hardware then.

3 Likes

Same exact motors, same settings, they barely get warm on my mountainboard but I run 40 psi plus and it’s still really comfortable

Very weird

1 Like

20psi is really low. I was popping tubes constantly below 30, which I didn’t even mean to be at my gauge was just crap. Usually I ride at 40-45psi.

Also what’s the gear ratio?

4 Likes

250lb rider with higher settings and thane. But 30wh/km regularly. Not seeing issues with overheating the motors.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check to make sure but right now I think it’s 5.21

190kv, 15T, 72T, 200x75

That would explain why I popped a tube the other day. I will try inflating to 35psi - that’s the max of what my tires are rated for. I’m using these tires: Qind Brand 200x75 Tire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4Z94V8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DADES6SM02FF0JAVBV7A

But I’m using hubs (and tubes) designed for 200x50 tires that’s why I didn’t wanna overinflate

I drive with 20 psi too on mountainboard with 10x50 9" mudpluger, 6374 closed maytech overheat as hell, no more problem with 63100 same motor/vesc values at 90A

Yeah something doesn’t make sense. The ratio and everything seems normal. No idea what running those tires on normal hubs is like, but that efficiency seems super low for fat tires and low psi.

Also just a random thought, this isn’t an esc that needs custom firmware is it?

You mean my efficiency is too good? I got about 23-25 miles out of a (almost) fully charged 12s5p P42A pack.

It’s a Flipsky 4.2 pro plus - temporary only.

None of your numbers make sense bro lol getting 23 to 25 miles on a 5p but having the motors overheat in 2 is baffling

I got 23 miles on a group ride with about 4 stops in the middle (each about an hour long on average)

And that was with Flipsky 6354s 190kv

Give us logs, we can’t help you without them. Also sounds to me like your VESCs are overheating those 4.2s cannot do 40 battery amps or 80 motor amps for any considerable amount of time.

2 Likes

Ok I’m going on a ride today and I’ll try to grab the logs after I get back

Do you know how to get the logs from a ride?

You’re right, that would make sense the 4.2s are not great especially for a build using fat tires like this one

1 Like

Make sure your board doesn’t turn off after your ride, pop open enclosure, open VESC tool, connect one side of VESC to computer, scroll down to Data Analysis > Log Analysis and then at the bottom left; Open Current. Then scroll through the plot to figure out if its the motor or the 4.2’s hitting throttle first. I’m assuming you don’t have any NRF modules in your build otherwise this process is a lot easier.

2 Likes

Thank you sir - you are a saint. I will report back later tonight after the ride.

I will also adjust / modify the following setting to keep up on the ride:
Motor: 60/-60
Batt: 30/-20
Motor temp: I will up this to 100 C
I will pump up the tires to their max rated 35psi too

I don’t have any NRF modules unfortunately- I have a Bluetooth module on the way.

2 Likes

Well, at least it’s a good day to test these motors out lol

2 Likes

So that heat somehow turned into a thunderstorm and the ride was cancelled but I did go out before the rain started and ripped pretty hard for about 1.5 miles (constant braking, full throttle acceleration).

Conclusion: @A13XR3 was right I think - it was the PSI; I could just feel it coasting so much better on 35psi vs 20psi which would explain the stress on the both the motors and the ESC.

@itsrow unfortunately, I wasn’t able to obtain the “log analysis”. I didn’t turn off the ESC after the ride and plugged it into the VESC tool but nothing shows up. Check screenshot below. However, the motors were toasty - I’d estimate around 60C and the MOSFETs on the ESC were also pretty hot (that’s what I get for running a 4.2 on pneumatics lmao)

1 Like