⚔ Flipsky 6374 vs Maytech 6374 vs Ali C6374 (Dickyho motors)

The 6374 should be made the same. @Gamer43 they have changed a ton of things from your super early sample.

2 Likes

Is there a 6355 flipsky motor that hasn’t been released yet? Also, are sealed bearings better than shielded bearings for motors?

I prefer sealed bearings, with sealed you can easily replace the grease with just a small flat screwdriver. And they usually have a smaller gap between seal and inner race. So less crap and water can get

I always pack my sealed bearings full of thick grease. And let the excess just get squeezed out through riding. I use Scheffers 274 thrown into a small squeeze bottle. Takes two minutes tops to apply on all wheels.
Fun fact I swapped to new zealous bearings the other day and wanted to see how they reacted to a water session. The next day the bearing had oxidised to the point where I had to rotate the wheels by hand to free up the bearings. Now the same bearings packed with grease although not running at its best have gone through another three or four water trips without complaining nearly a month later.
(Although the grease inside zealous is one of the better they don’t use enough of if to stand up to water)
I’m tempted to use stainless bearing and see how they hold up.
On motors I run the stock bearings until they more or less fail and then just swap them out. Not sure if it is smart to run grease in motors with the additional speeds they see. Others might have more experience here.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what is best, but I’ve been using oil.

1 Like

Even with latest firmware, no hfi with unity?

You need to update your Unity to VESC FW 5.x and then you can use HFI. I use HFI on mine. You will then have to use VESC Tool or some other VESC FW 5.x compatible tool to configure the Unity. The original Unity app wont work anymore.

About to install one iv had sitting around is it as simple as a normal FW update on a vesc? Or is it update to FW x then update to Y then update to Z?

Just get the latest VESC Tool and update with that. It worked flawlessly with my Unity. I was running latest Unity FW, and updated to latest 5.1 VESC FW.

If you have all the motors to hand, do a test and run them full speed with full battery at no load.
Log the test and finally overlay the temperature curves. How long does it take till they reach 75°C

5 Likes

Awesome post, I use the 6374 230Kv from Dickyho and I am very please with the performance so far…I still run bdlc so they are not the quietest but still only make noise between 25-27 km/h lol other than that nice for the price point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Flipsky’s 170kv motors are closer to 180kv, based on my full battery full throttle with wheels in the air tests, compared to esk8 calculator values. If there is any test that can confirm this, please suggest it here

1 Like

You can measure KV via motor detection. I got values at around 175 average, I think only 1 was as low as 170. iirc it was something like 172 178 174 176 175?

2 Likes

I should’ve made you pick the highest kv ones for me :angel:

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone has documented how to do this yet.

3 Likes

is it go max speed and divide ERPM by poles?

AFAIK its either
Volts = Power / Current (Bat)
Effective Volts = Volts * Duty Cycle
RPM = ERPM / Motor Pole pairs (7 usually)
kv = RPM / Effective Volts

or just rpm/voltage

That’ll give a rough idea of KV, but will be skewed up from stuff like friction losses.

I think the more correct way to measure KV would be to spin at a known speed and then measure the output voltage.

In the tool, isn’t it just going to the terminal and typing:

kv

divide the result by either poles (14) or pole pairs (7)?

I forget, don’t have one to plug in at the moment, one of the results will be close to the rated kv, the other will be off by approximately a factor of 2.

Pretty sure it’s just calculating based on flux linkage and resistance as per this

1 Like

Pole pairs

2 Likes

Upon talking to alibaba sellers and annoying them with my questions I found this manufacturer

3 japanese bearings
Special purpose magnet glue instead of epoxy
Top and botoom metal magnet retain ring
6061T6 can
Really good price

Cons
Seems like a high resistance 0.05ohm
Maybe a smaller than usual amount of windings, 9 of them??
Seem to be loud in the video

3 Likes